RDF Light Tank at AUSA
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:29 pm
    ----
Here's 3 views of S/N002. Note that when M247 Sgt. York DIVAD was cancelled, the General Dynamics Rocket Launchers appeared. Rick

#2: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:11 pm
    ----
The right hand rocket launcher appears to have the AN/PPX-1 IFF antenna installed (first photo).

#3: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 pm
    ----
Costas, Here's 3 more views of the RDF tank with missiles. AFAIK they were supposed to have General Dynamics missiles, but they look like Stinger pods. Rick

#4: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 am
    ----
Yes they do. Wink
Thanks for the photos.
Oh, and the initial development of the Stinger was in fact carried out by GD.

#5: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:58 am
    ----
Costas, That would explain the similarity if GD developed the Stinger. Other than missile parts I used to work on (Hellfire) I'm not too familiar with other systems. Rick

#6: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 am
    ----
Would the antenna still be there after firing the missile?

#7: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm
    ----
I'll go by the MANPADS version of the Stinger, where the antenna is located to the right of the gripstock, and say yes, there would be no problem. Besides, these missiles are propelled out of the tube by a small booster charge and the main motor kicks in some distance from the launcher.

- Rick_Eshleman
Costas, That would explain the similarity if GD developed the Stinger. Other than missile parts I used to work on (Hellfire) I'm not too familiar with other systems. Rick

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...er#History

Yes it would. GD was making the Stinger until 1992, when they sold the Tactical Missiles Division to Hughes Aircraft Company, which in turn was sold to Raytheon by GM in 1997.

#8: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm
    ----
Avenger on Hummer at Letterkenny AD.

#9: Re: RDF Light Tank at AUSA Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 am
    ----
And here is a promotional shot of the RDF LT.
Note that the image is probably flipped, judging by the location of the AN/PPX-1 IFF antenna as well as the coax.

-> AFV News Discussion Board