Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:22 pm
    ----
I didn't find a thread dedicated to the museum they have over there, specifically the Wahner E. Brooks historical exhibit. They've got a nice collection over there, so here goes, courtesy of Mr. Darren Williams.
darrensrides.blogspot....round.html

Last edited by Costas_TT on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:51 pm
    ----
Thanks for posting Costas. Note that the M108 105mm SPH is listed as (wrong designation) M107. Very nice selection there. Rick

#3: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 pm
    ----
Thanks Rick.
Also, not only wrong designation, but also wrong caliber. In addition, the ID plaques for the M114 and the M115 have been posted in the wrong order.
I especially liked the Bofors with the oversize (for the carriage) truck tires and the Duster-type three-pronged flash suppressor.

#4: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:42 pm
    ----
I wonder if the T28 Super Heavy tank that was 'destroyed by fire' while at Yuma Proving Grounds, is sitting out in the desert, somewhere....?

I'm always 'in the hunt' for disappearing tanks.... perhaps used in Atomic testing...?

90+ ton Super Heavy tanks don't just disappear following a 'fire'....unless it was radiation induced..? (Just thinking out loud)

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:14 pm
    ----
Don,
It would be interesting to find remains of the T28 tank at Yuma PG. Like APG it would be interesting to search old areas where R&D took place. Socorro, NM would be another interesting place to check out. Somewhere in my old files are a few photos of a valley in Socorro area with a boneyard of tanks. Also, there's the old TACOM in Warren, MI. Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA A10 Warthog Valley (I used to hike there at the top of the mountains) hard targets there.
There were also rumors that APG had buried numerous Tiger and Panther tanks, after testing. Not sure if this ever happened but it would be interesting to find the remains. Like the M4 Sherman Hybrid at Phillips Air Field at APG, which is burnt out having been used for fire-fighters at the airport. Rick

#6: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:05 am
    ----
On google earth I see at least 9 tanks at Phillips Air field, Aberdeen. Anyone who knows more about them?

Socorro, is that the area from the New Mexico Mining Institute. They also have/had some interesting aircraft wrecks.

Regards,
Lesley

#7: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:26 am
    ----
Lesley, Other than the burnt out Sherman and an old aircraft at Phillips Field (back in 1986) there was nothing else there years ago. Who knows what the other 8 tanks are? Any one know? Rick

#8: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:45 pm
    ----
The google earth image is from may 2013. How accurate that in reality is I don't know.

'86, that was a good year (still 16..)

regards,
Lesley

#9: Re: Yuma Proving Ground museum gallery. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:29 pm
    ----
Lesley, I'm going to start a new thread on APG from this. For 1st time APG is not "blacked out" (fuzzy) on Google Earth! Last time I checked it, it was fuzzy. Now you can actually see the Ordnance Museum, and Phillips field. On Phillips AAF I found no less than 3 AFVs (unknown) 43 helicopter bodies (various) and 18 aircraft fuselage, most with wings, some just the cockpit and passenger body. Rick

PS: Look to the East of the airfield for a lot of the helicopters and aircraft.

-> AFV News Discussion Board