When I'm not here...
-> Officer's Club

#1: When I'm not here... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 pm
    ----
I'm HERE.
And today, out of nowhere, an aviation thread began.
Thought I'd share with you buncha ugly sob's.

#2: Re: When I'm not here... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:36 pm
    ----
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

That old McGhee-Tyson airport has been serving Knoxville for a VERY long time. It's on land donated in perpetuity for it's use as long as the name isn't changed. About once a decade or so, some city official tries to make a name for himself by changing the name to something a little less provincial, like "Knoxville International" and dumping the traditional name.

Then there is a flurry of legal homework and they find that, nope, the contract is ironclad...change the name, lose the land... and the idea is forgotten until a new bevy of city officials take over. Laughing

#3: Re: When I'm not here... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:39 pm
    ----
lol
Wish we could fine idiots like that the money that their great idea costs everyone else.

#4: Re: When I'm not here... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 pm
    ----
- Shades
lol
Wish we could fine idiots like that the money that their great idea costs everyone else.

It always pays to read the fine print. The airport land was purchased, but with provisos about the name (named for a Naval aviator that was lost at sea). It's by the wee town of Alcoa, TN. which is named for exactly what you suspect it is...major aluminum facility.

-> Officer's Club