Sofia. National museum of military history
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#121: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm
    ----
The display contains a whole SA-2 battery, with six launchers, radar and command vehicle:

SA-2 Guideline by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#122: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 am
    ----
An artillery piece you don't see that often:

8 cm PL kanon vz 37 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#123: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:21 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
This was quite unexpected, a Pavesi tractor in Sofia:

Pavesi tractor by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

OK, so I'm guessing those are the wheeled equivalent of "grousers" that can be deployed in mud/snow as needed and retracted for road and firm ground work?

#124: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:02 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
OK, so I'm guessing those are the wheeled equivalent of "grousers" that can be deployed in mud/snow as needed and retracted for road and firm ground work?

Yes!

Massimo

#125: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:34 am
    ----
I know Doug likes vintage, multi-barrell weapons Smile

BTW I am not 100% sure about the identification here

10,66 mm Nobel machine gun by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#126: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am
    ----
This is quite an unique piece, a naval gun from Krupp mounted on a field carriage:

15 cm S.K.L 40 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

More info here:
www.bulgarianartillery...m%20iR.htm

#127: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:50 am
    ----
Another unidentified gun:

Unidentified Krupp turkish gun by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

The markings show it's a Krupp gun that belonged to the Turkish Army:
www.flickr.com/photos/...hotostream

Here you can see another view:
www.flickr.com/photos/...hotostream

It remains to be seen if the muzzle-brake is original or a later upgrade.
Caliber to me seems in the 100/105 mm range

Massimo

#128: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am
    ----
Could it be one of these?
www.bulgarianartillery...201905.htm

I was unable to find better pictures to compare .-(

Massimo

#129: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 pm
    ----
The muzzle brake is certainly a later addition. I have yet to see an early 20th century piece with such a feature. In fact, it looks like it came from a leFH 18.

#130: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 pm
    ----
Yes, thinking again, I am sure the muzzle brake was added at a later stage. That's make things even more interesting, because it would imply it was in active use long after it was captured during the Balkan Wars. Your hint about the leFH 18 would confirm the 105 mm caliber.

Thanks

Massimo

#131: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm
    ----

7.5 cm Gebirgsgeschutz 36 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#132: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm
    ----

10 cm K 18 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#133: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 pm
    ----
Very nice artillery stuff in Sofia
Thanks for sharing Massimo !

Walter

#134: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 pm
    ----
Regarding the 10cm Turkish gun at Sofia.

The Ottoman army ordered 18 10cm Belagerungskanone (Siege Gun) in 1905. These were 105mm L/30 guns weighing about 2900kg. It looks a good match for the gun at Sofia except for the muzzle brake. The gun is similar to the 107mm Krupp gun supplied to the Russian Army.

The date of 1905 is quoted but there doesn't seem to be an image of the date marking. If, as seems likely, the gun was processed through the Imperial Arsenal at Istanbul it should have a Rumi date and serial no. in Osmanli script.

The Osmanli script on the breech ring puts a bound on when the gun entered service since imported guns after the start of WW1 don't have
the script and locally (Turkish) built guns stopped using the script just after the end of WW1.

Regards,

Charlie

#135: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:10 am
    ----
Thanks for the additional info Charlie.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board