Sofia. National museum of military history
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 pm
    ----
I was apparently right about the car, i.e. it's a Kfz. 15 (Auto Union/Horch 40 or Opel EFm). As for the truck, the best guess I can come up with is that it's part of the Mercedes-Benz L3000 series. Finally, the car behind the Ursus is a Škoda 1101 VO.

#32: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:38 am
    ----
Thanks!

#33: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 pm
    ----
You are welcome and, in turn, thanks for the interesting (to say the least) challenge.

#34: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: AsbjoernLocation: Germany PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:59 pm
    ----
For sure it is good that someone put all these softskins in this collection long ago when they would ghave been scrapped elswere ...but sad that they are still in the open left to dacay faster and faster. Now they still have enough solid structure to be restored - but only some years in future they will be beyond recovery.

Jens

#35: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:15 pm
    ----

2S1 Gvozdika by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#36: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm
    ----

2S3 Akatsiya by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#37: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 pm
    ----
Massimo, while you were in Sofia, did you happen to run across any indication as to exactly what machine gun they fitted on the locally modified loader's hatch of their T-34-85 medium tanks? I have found pics of the hatch and post mount, but not the weapon itself. Although, I suspect that for reasons of commonality it could be a DT type.

#38: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm
    ----
There were four T-34/85s inside the Museum, none of them have a machine gun on loader's hatch. Sorry.

Massimo

#39: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:26 pm
    ----
The machine gun on the top of their T34s was a 50cal.

#40: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:41 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
There were four T-34/85s inside the Museum, none of them have a machine gun on loader's hatch. Sorry.

Massimo

I have seen some photos of the museum's tanks and that's why I mentioned "indication", that is any photos or whatever in the museum's collection. Well, never mind.

- JimWeb

Are you sure, Jim? I have seen a few pictures of a turret used as part of a bunker and the pintle's clamp does not look like it fits a 50.

#41: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:10 pm
    ----
The HVO did put DSHKs on a couple of vehicles but not many.

#42: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:33 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

#43: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:44 pm
    ----

ATS-59 G by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#44: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:44 pm
    ----

ATS-712 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#45: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:16 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
The HVO did put DSHKs on a couple of vehicles but not many.

In the case you mentioned, they used the entire loader's hatch from the T-54/55, complete with mount.

The Bulgarian hatch was a locally made modification:

and also:
picasaweb.google.com/l...y1DsTcP1IQ

-> AFV News Discussion Board