Sofia. National museum of military history
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:12 am
    ----
A pole shot of this interesting mortar carrier:

B1-10 120 mm Tunja by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#47: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:36 am
    ----
I could use one of this in winter:

BAT-1 bulldozer by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#48: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 am
    ----
I have more than 20 artillery pieces from Sofia that need to be properly identified. Would it be okay to post them here? I think we will get more visibility and, at the very same time, we cover the whole Museum inside one single thread.

Massimo

#49: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:33 pm
    ----
Massimo, Great photos, thanks for posting. Rick

#50: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:39 pm
    ----
Yes Massimo put the artillery also in
AFV - Softskins and artillery let's bring it on

Walter

#51: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I have more than 20 artillery pieces from Sofia that need to be properly identified. Would it be okay to post them here? I think we will get more visibility and, at the very same time, we cover the whole Museum inside one single thread.

Massimo

Do it. Spread it between two topics, like "part 1" and "part 2" so there won't be so many pictures on a single page, which takes long to load for some folks. Wink

#52: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:57 pm
    ----
I'll be sure we don't have more than 10 pics per page. Thanks

Massimo

#53: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:01 pm
    ----
This is the first artillery quiz. Not an hard one. I am pretty sure it's a 10.5 cm leFH 18. But I would love additional opinions:

10.5 cm leFH 18 wreck? by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Note, 2 additional shots are visible on Flickr

#54: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:43 pm
    ----
It's rather definitely a leFH 18M with the early, less efficient, single baffle muzzle brake, but it's missing the breech and parts of the recoil system among others.

#55: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:46 pm
    ----
This piece sits among the "wrecks" area, near the vehicles wrecks I already posted about. Like the other wrecks, it has no info panel.

On Flickr I am trying to assign fairly precise coordinates.

Massimo

#56: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:54 pm
    ----
There is an area at the corner of the yard, that is covered, it hosts a large amount of artillery pieces, none of them is properly labelled. Many identifications are somewhat complicated, but we have a fair amount of info already.

This one is a 75 mm Krupp. It has something in common with the early 20th century export models, but it's a later pieces, it has a longer barrel, and 1916 markings, plus a plate in cyrillic.

Unidentified 75 mm Krupp by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Breech's markings:
www.flickr.com/photos/...hotostream

Label:
www.flickr.com/photos/...hotostream

#57: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm
    ----
I'll stick that picture onto "Landships" forum, someone will ID it in about 5 seconds!

#58: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm
    ----
- Costas_TT

In the case you mentioned, they used the entire loader's hatch from the T-54/55, complete with mount.

Normally they just reversed the loaders hatch and fitted the Dshk on a pintle mount in front of it - have you seen some with the t54/55 loaders hatch fitted or the version with the raised hatch and the smaller MG mount?

- Costas_TT
The Bulgarian hatch was a locally made modification:

That's one I haven't noticed before - I'll do some research and see what I can find out Costas.

#59: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 am
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
I'll stick that picture onto "Landships" forum, someone will ID it in about 5 seconds!

Indeed they reacted pretty quickly, but the proposed id is wrong. This isn't a 7.7 cm FK 16

Massimo

#60: Re: Sofia. National museum of military history Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:59 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I could use one of this in winter:

BAT-1 bulldozer by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Walter pointed out that this beast is often called "BAT-M", I am reporting it as "BAT-1" since that's the name used by the Museum. Online I have seen both, but "BAT-M" seems to prevail. Any feedback?

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board