Where is the M1922 medium tank now?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Where is the M1922 medium tank now? Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 am
    ----
I'm writing an article for the Landships II website (landships.info) on the British Medium Mark D and have included a section on the M1922 since it used the same track/suspension system as the Medium D. The sole M1922 built was at Aberdeen for many years - anyone know where it is now?

Regards,

Charlie

#2: Re: Where is the M1922 medium tank now? Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:40 pm
    ----
Charlie,
It was probably shipped to Ft Lee or Ft Benning like other tanks in the old APG collection. Not sure if I'm stopping by Ft Lee in early December, but I've plans to go to Museum in Danville, VA (weather permitting) and may go to Ft Lee. Let you know if I get there. Rick

#3: Re: Where is the M1922 medium tank now? Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:25 am
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
Charlie,
It was probably shipped to Ft Lee or Ft Benning like other tanks in the old APG collection. Not sure if I'm stopping by Ft Lee in early December, but I've plans to go to Museum in Danville, VA (weather permitting) and may go to Ft Lee. Let you know if I get there. Rick

Thanks Rick. The M1922 is the only surviving tank with Phillip Johnson's
snake track and sprung cable suspension. Historically there are links to the French 1924 "Char de Bataille" project, which lead to the Char B1, since 3 out of 4 Char de Bataille prototypes had snake tracks. There's also the obvious link to the British Medium D project since the Ordnance Dept used the British drawings to build the track and suspension.

Regards,

Charlie

#4: Re: Where is the M1922 medium tank now? Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:19 pm
    ----
I've been emailing around - it seems that the M1922 is in the Army Storage Depot in Anniston, Alabama.

Doesn't sound as if there are any plans to restore it in the forseeable future. One can only hope that it remains safe or if the US Army doesn't want it - it goes to somewhere like Bovington (they would be interested because it has the same track/suspension as the Medium Mark D).

Regards,

Charlie

-> AFV News Discussion Board