Some photosscans from the ''shoebox''
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Some photosscans from the ''shoebox'' Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:48 pm
    ----
Some photos from the time we still had tanks (Salisbury Plains, KLietz, Novi Travnik 1997 and 1998)

#2: Re: Some photosscans from the ''shoebox'' Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:35 pm
    ----
Nice pics, Lesley. Hard to think of pics from late nineties as "historical", but in this case, they are. Sad

And those have that same, pre-digital, showbox-stored signs of aging that I've spent so much time fixing on pics from some of our guys in VN. Get them under plastic ASAP, so as to at least preserve some color fidelity and stop further scratching. Twenty years from now, you'll really be glad you did. Wink

#3: Re: Some photosscans from the ''shoebox'' Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:06 pm
    ----
Yes, I now removed my photos from the garage to a more photofriendly area in the house. Especially some black and white photos were in bad condition... Under plastic you mean in a photoalbum with those plastic covers?

Regards,
Lesley

#4: Re: Some photosscans from the ''shoebox'' Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm
    ----
YPR-765 with markings from the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps

Below some ''A4s'' at Vogelsang, Germany

#5: Re: Some photosscans from the ''shoebox'' Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
Yes, I now removed my photos from the garage to a more photofriendly area in the house. Especially some black and white photos were in bad condition... Under plastic you mean in a photoalbum with those plastic covers?

Regards,
Lesley

Yep, or any system that A. protects the surface from scratching...and B. reduces the exposure to oxygen. O2 is not your pictures friend.

Even grouped with interleaved soft paper in a seal-able plastic envelope is better than nothing. There is paper designed for this purpose that won't stick to the print side of photos.

Of course, the act of putting prints into holders can itself scratch them, so be careful. Some of the defects I see on yours are likely "enlarger dust", or dust that was on the print paper or negative or tranparancy when it was enlarged and printed. Take care of your negatives and transparencies as well. Negatives especially shift color (to blue) with age and oxygen exposure.

-> AFV News Discussion Board