Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:19 pm
    ----
Though embarrassingly inaccurate at places it's interesting because of the Full Tiger II and the Munster Tiger I footage.

Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks

#2: Re: Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 pm
    ----
They don't like to use the word "German" much...but good vids

#3: Re: Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:28 pm
    ----
PBS has aired a similar series that included the Atlantic wall, V2 sites and maybe the sub pens. It's somewhat more refined and less "Gee Whiz!" than what I could stand to watch of the tank one above. They were more of the site tour and demonstration of the engineering involved variety...which is to say, more watchable.

#4: Re: Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:53 pm
    ----
Typing 'super tanks' into google throws up some interesting pictures although the second one was of TOG2 which I would hardly describe as super! There was also a picture of the Panther in Kubinka painted in a camouflage scheme that makes it look like a giraffe! Is that based on real use?

#5: Re: Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 am
    ----
- TimRoyall
Typing 'super tanks' into google throws up some interesting pictures although the second one was of TOG2 which I would hardly describe as super! There was also a picture of the Panther in Kubinka painted in a camouflage scheme that makes it look like a giraffe! Is that based on real use?

Yes, the Kubinka Panther paint scheme is a pattern that was field applied by the crews of the 5th Panzer Division SS Wiking in the spring of 1944. It's quite horrible from an aesthetic point of view to be honest, but an accurate and effective disruptive pattern nevertheless.

#6: Re: Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am
    ----
Thanks! That must have actually taken some time to do.

#7: Re: Nazi Megastructures - Super Tanks Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 am
    ----
- TimRoyall
Thanks! That must have actually taken some time to do.

Indeed Smile There's been quite the debate on the forums over the years on this pattern, it's been dubbed "baby-poop" among other things. There has also been the usual debate over historical accuracy over museum presentation, many seem to would have preferred it in "from factory" finish when restored. But as I understand it the Kubinka Panther was painted based on period photos from when captured.

-> AFV News Discussion Board