New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum
-> Artillery Forum

#1: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 am
    ----
Hi

Last week we recieved two pieces witch where on loan to a small local museum.

Obice DA 105/22 mod 14/61 by tichenor3698, on Flickr

Michel

#2: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 am
    ----
The second one

Canon de 105mm L (L/41.5) Mle1936 Schneider by tichenor3698, on Flickr

michel

#3: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:56 pm
    ----
Is the Obice DA 105/22 mod 14/61 the gun which is a mixture of Skoda howitzer and 25 Pounder parts?

I think an ex-Yuogslav one turned up in Australia last year.

Regards,

Charlie

#4: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:55 pm
    ----
The Obice da 105 14/61 is a Skoda 100/17, with a longer barrel (like the 100/22 manufactured by Skoda after WW I and used by Yugoslavia, Poland and others), re-chambered for NATO 105 mm ammo and with a plate coming from a 25pdr.
It was build in Italy in early sixties. I posted about it a few times on this forum, with multiple pictures.

As far as I know it was only used by the Italian Army, I would be surprised if the gun in Australia comes from Yugoslavia.

Massimo

#5: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:58 pm
    ----
Here one old post:
www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=11453

Massimo

#6: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:39 pm
    ----
The howitzer at Cairns certainly looks like an Obice 105 14/61 but the marking on the gun is Serbo-Croat it reads:

Military Technical INSTITUTE
KRAGÄŒJEVAC
Fabr. Nr. 1036

Regards,

Charlie

#7: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:21 am
    ----
As I mentioned, many 100/22 howitzers were captured in Yugoslavia in 1941, both by the Italian and German armies.

In the end the Italian Army had former Austro-Hungarian, Czech, Polish and Yugoslavian guns, plus more manufactured in Italy after WW I.
In the late fifties the guns in better shape were upgraded to the 14/61 configuration.

There is absolutely no way Italy sold weapons to Yugoslavia after WW II. Up to the end of Cold War there was a strong tension across the border among the two countries.

Massimo

#8: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 pm
    ----
I didn't suggest (or certainly didn't intend) that the gun had been sold to Yugoslavia post WW2. Your explanation suggests the Obice 14/61s will have all sorts of markings reflecting their origins.

The Obice 14/61 is a pretty impressive gun - designed in the 1920s and it outranged the US M2A2 howitzer.

Regards,

Charlie

#9: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:21 pm
    ----
- CharlieC
I didn't suggest (or certainly didn't intend) that the gun had been sold to Yugoslavia post WW2. Your explanation suggests the Obice 14/61s will have all sorts of markings reflecting their origins.

I have seen markings both from Skoda and Italian factories on them. Never seen Yugoslavian or Polish markings yet.
Even with the Skoda markings sometimes it's hard to understand if they are former Austro-Hungarian guns or post-WW I pieces.

- CharlieC
The Obice 14/61 is a pretty impressive gun - designed in the 1920s and it outranged the US M2A2 howitzer.

Well, strictly speaking the original design is pre-WW I, in 1919 they made a minor upgrade, with a longer barrel.

#10: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:31 am
    ----
I just checked the markings on this post WW-I gun on display in Belgrade

10 cm Gebirgshaubitze vz 16/19 Skoda by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

They match the ones on Cairns's gun.

That's an interesting finding, thanks for triggering the process Charlie.

Massimo

#11: Re: New arrivals at the Belgian Artillery museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:39 am
    ----
I am attaching a picture of the markings

Massimo

-> Artillery Forum