In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M548
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M548 Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 am
    ----
Hello everyone,

I need assistance in determining the unit for this bumper code:

I imagine that 9FA is 9th Field Artillery but I have no idea what 81 CR stands for.

Many thanks!

#2: Re: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M5 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 am
    ----
I'll step out on a limb and take a WAG...

Combat Reconnaissance, maybe. First thing that leaps to mind. Yes, it sounds more like a cavalry or armored unit function, but perhaps as an accompanying unit of the FA?

Seems like an odd designation for what was more likely an artillery ammo supply vehicle. 548's were used for a number of misc. applications (my unit used them for armored cav mechanic vehicles in the field).

#3: Re: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M548 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:27 am
    ----
...."California Reserves"..??

Otherwise I'm clueless....

Regards
Don

#4: Re: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M5 Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 pm
    ----
?maybe find out if any knows the parent unit for the 7/9FA?

#5: Re: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M548 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 pm
    ----
81st Cav Regiment?

#6: Re: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M548 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:22 pm
    ----
- bsmart
81st Cav Regiment?

Reasonable guess, though "modern" cav regiments rarely deploy as regiments intact. More typically, the rgt's' are broken up and assigned as sdn's to larger units (supporting divisions, or similar commands). At least, that was my experience in two of them (one sorta' doesn't count, since the regiment had folded colors and collapsed a couple of squadrons). Then again, the numbers may not being following any rules, if a display item.

The 9th FA has existed as both a battalion and as a regiment, over time. The 7th of the 9th FA can be found here, and apparently existed until reorganization:

unitpages.military.com...?id=102023

Here, the 5th is the highest bn. designation within the rgt., currently:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...y_Regiment

"
1st Battalion 9th Field Artillery Regiment [1]
2d Battalion 9th Field Artillery Regiment
3d Battalion 9th Field Artillery Regiment
4th Battalion 9th Field Artillery Regiment
5th Battalion 9th Field Artillery Regiment"

There apparently was an 81st Cav Recon Sqn. (Mech) in WWII:

cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/r...l8/id/3631

#7: Re: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M5 Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 pm
    ----
Thanks everyone. Doug's last post helped to solve most of it. I found on the U.S. Army's Center for Military History a quite large pdf covering field artillery lineage. The 7-9FA was an Army Reserve unit from the early 1970's until deactivated in 1995. It was located in Florida for most of that time period.

Thanks again!

#8: Re: In need of more bumper code I.D. help, this time on a M5 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:15 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Thanks everyone. Doug's last post helped to solve most of it. I found on the U.S. Army's Center for Military History a quite large pdf covering field artillery lineage. The 7-9FA was an Army Reserve unit from the early 1970's until deactivated in 1995. It was located in Florida for most of that time period.

Thanks again!

Some of that time in Vero Beach, apparently, which I have some childhood memories of (including meeting a lot of Dodgers and Yankees...to include Mantle, Maris, Snyder, Drysdale, Koufax, etc. during spring training games). Didn't even think much of it at the time. Rolling Eyes

-> AFV News Discussion Board