need some help in the Murmansk area
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: need some help in the Murmansk area Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:29 am
    ----
hello,

there are two Sherman tanks at the military museum in Safonovo, Murmansk Oblast :

I'd like to find somebody who could help to get additional photos of these two tanks, and their serials. I could indicate where to look at exactly.

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: need some help in the Murmansk area Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:17 pm
    ----
A bit of Googling gives a few more photos.

vk.com/sfpress#/id4661..._723%2Fall

Following Trevor's advice!

severpost.ru/read/11343/
Using Google Translate.
Machine, more than half a century, is located in the hold flooded transport "Thomas Donaldson" now stands at the Aviation Museum in Safonov. Beside him sparkle with fresh paint heavy tank KV-1S and anti-self-propelled ISU-152, replacing the line of duty at the museum of the KV-1 and a pirated copy of the KV-2, according to " North Sea News" I thought it might be the one fished out of the sea recently.
Next bit's interesting!

Now this tank has its own history. It is on this "Firefly" at the time known to many students, Major Radley-Walters knocked out and destroyed 18 tanks and assault guns, the Germans

Obviously not a Firefly and I doubt if the Canadians were using 76mm M4s in Normandy!

Last edited by Pzkpfw-e on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: need some help in the Murmansk area Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:22 pm
    ----
The Easy Eight appears to have been used as a tractor, possibly in railways, with the glacis cut to provide better vision to the driver. The size and shape seems to correspond to the late type loader's hatch.

#4: Re: need some help in the Murmansk area Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:16 pm
    ----
Pzkpfwe - text between photos gets mangled on this forum (you could try splitting your post). I think 'Firefly' is here getting (mis)used to just mean a long-barrelled Sherman.

-> AFV News Discussion Board