Arsenalen
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:10 am
    ----
Bv 208 Prototype by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#17: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:13 am
    ----
- Walter
Any german vehicles in the museum ?

Not that many, but some rare vehicles like: Pz I A, Marder II, Hetzer, Tempo Vidal and a 3 tons Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz

Massimo

#18: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:28 am
    ----
- the_shadock
so.. let's see what you were able to photograph on the M4A4 Firefly

I collected all my shots inside this .zip file:
massimocorner.com/afv/...irefly.zip

Please note it's very large, 700 Mb. It will be available for a week or two, then I will remove it from the server (because it consumes too much space)

Massimo

#19: Re: Arsenalen Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 am
    ----
thanks, I'm already dowloading it.

P-O

#20: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 am
    ----
That Sherman has in interesting story, it was used as test bed to try components during the Strv 103 program. I've seen pictures of it on a book, but I can't post them here due to copyright. You may try to contact Arsenalen's director to get copies of those pictures, since at least one is part of the Museum's display.

At one point it was restored back to look like a Firefly, but seems like some mistake happened in the process.

The tank also had splinter damage on the hull's right side, since it arrived in Sweden (before it was modified). Mr Karlsson would love to know more about it, to be able to unveil the tank service career before it was shipped to Sweden and hopefully understand where and when the damage was inflicted.

I wasn't able to see the S/N, but Mr Karlsson most likely has it.

Hope it may help.

Massimo

#21: Re: Arsenalen Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:06 pm
    ----
the serial is 16733, built in December, 1942.

P-O

#22: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:55 pm
    ----
Can we derive additional info from the serial? Do we know the manufacturer?
Is it possible that was converted to Firefly after the battle damages?

Massimo

#23: Re: Arsenalen Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:04 pm
    ----
the manufacturer is Chrysler (the only manufacturer of M4A4 tanks). I don't know anything more yet, but will try to get more information. Mr Karlsson already know the serial and manufacturer, as he sent me a photo of the manufacturer's plate.

P-O

#24: Re: Arsenalen Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

It reminds me of the Canadair Dynatrac. Is there any relationship between the designs or components, besides the general concept?

#25: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:47 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
It reminds me of the Canadair Dynatrac. Is there any relationship between the designs or components, besides the general concept?

I don't know. I wasn't even aware of the Canadair Dynatrac before reading your post.

In recent years a similar concept has been implemented in Singapore with the Bronco All Terrain Tracked Carrier:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ed_Carrier

Among other things, this vehicles was adopted by the British Army, even if they used Swedish vehicles in the past (including a few that took part to the Falklands War in 1982).

Massimo

#26: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 am
    ----
The most recent evolution of this series of vehicles:

Bv 410 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#27: Re: Arsenalen Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:46 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Bv 206 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Ah, the old trustworthy "Plastic Can". Many a mile spent in it, our driver installed the mother of all car stereos in it (highly irregular) and there was a trick in heating your canned rations via an engine service panel ... which at least once resulted in a Spaghetti Bolognese explosion (you must never forget to prick a small vent in the can). Amazing oversnow capabilities, I once during the middle of Swedish winter jumped out for a quick relief behind a a tree only to find myself stuck to the waist in snow. Ah the memories Smile

#28: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:55 am
    ----
Thanks for sharing your memories Rikard, including the spaghetti one Smile

I know for sure the Alpini (Italian mountain troops) have an high opinion of those Hägglunds vehicles.

Massimo

#29: Re: Arsenalen Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:47 am
    ----
very nice pictures !! much better than anything we can find on the internet..

P-O

#30: Re: Arsenalen Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am
    ----
The light isn't bad inside the building, it only has a somewhat yellowish cast in certain areas. Yet I fund myself using up to ISO 3200 in a few cases, not many cameras handle that nicely.

I think Erik Gustavsson's pictures are pretty good and he posted a pretty comprehensive set, other than those, I haven't seen quality pictures from Arsenalen.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board