Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads Author: SeanOConnor PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:13 pm
    ----
Hi, I've just released a game for iPads that I thought people here might find interesting. I've attempted to make as realistic a simulation of tank and infantry warfare as I can. The gameplay is similar to the old game Close Combat but tanks use a physics engine so they drive using brake levers, and you can see their rev counters, speedos and gear changes etc..., so they manoeuvre in a much more realistic way. All the ballistics are done in 3D so you get realistic ricochets off sloped surfaces, and the shells themselves can be of different types such as HE, HEAT, APCR, APCBC etc...

It's a free download if you'd like to take a look (but $5 to buy the full scenarios) from:

Firefight on the AppStore

and here is a screenshot of a column of German armour:

[img]http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/images/FF screenshot small.png[/img]

I'd welcome any comments or suggestions for improving it!

#2: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:53 pm
    ----
Think you can make this for an android based tablet? If you did I wouldn't mind trying it.

#3: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads Author: SeanOConnor PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:41 pm
    ----
- Tanklord
Think you can make this for an android based tablet? If you did I wouldn't mind trying it.

I've written the app with all the game logic totally separated from the user interface code so it should be easyish to port. I'm still working on game improvements (doing flamethrowers today!) and new maps so I am short on time at the moment.

When the game is all bedded down and if sales are going well I'll definitely start work on an Android and a Windows port.

#4: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 pm
    ----
Or maybe I can load it on the wife's IPad...nah, I will get shot for that. Better I should wait. Screen shots I see look good.

#5: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads Author: SeanOConnor PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:40 am
    ----
- Tanklord
Or maybe I can load it on the wife's IPad...nah, I will get shot for that. Better I should wait. Screen shots I see look good.

When I get some free time I'll definitely start looking into the Android port!

I'm working on new maps at the moment and I've finally got the next 2 new maps (Bléneau railway station and Remilly town) up on the AppStore. They're both in-app purchases but you can give them a test for free using:

Firefight on the AppStore

Map number 4 is nearly ready to upload too!

#6: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads Author: SeanOConnor PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 pm
    ----
Version 2.0 is out now on the AppStore and it can run on iPhones and iPod Touches as well as iPads now. I've also added some new features like showing hill contours when you zoom out, and there are now 6 maps available with number 7 in the pipeline!

#7: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 tank simulation for iPads Author: SeanOConnor PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:43 pm
    ----
I've just released version 3.0 which now has local network play. One player can be the attacker while the other defends. If this is popular I'll look into having teams of network players attack and defend. If you give it a go please let me know what you think!

-> AFV News Discussion Board