Former(?) Courthouse Sherman Mystery-Batavia, OH
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Former(?) Courthouse Sherman Mystery-Batavia, OH Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:59 pm
    ----
Came across the story of this...interesting gentleman while doing research on preserved artillery in the Cincinnati area:

www2.cincinnati.com/bl...d-a-point/

I've located the site of his junkyard as it is now, and I don't see any signs of the Scorpion he reportedly owned, nor his Sherman. There was another page with a photo gallery with a bit more info, but I can't locate it at the moment. I'll post it when I find it, in the meantime, does anyone have any more info on this man's collection?

e:gotcha:

www.cincinnati.com/app...803&Ref=PH

This says the county repo'd his Sherman, but I can't imagine they would have sold it for scrap. The only other local Shermans have been at their respective sites for many years, which makes me wonder where this one went to. Also, can someone with better Sherman-fu than me identify the variant?

#2: Re: Former(?) Courthouse Sherman Mystery-Batavia, OH Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:08 pm
    ----
I sent the link for your post to a friend of John's. Should get some answers from him.

Mike

#3: Re: Former(?) Courthouse Sherman Mystery-Batavia, OH Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:18 pm
    ----
Without his guns, just eccentric, with them, another thing completely.

#4: Re: Former(?) Courthouse Sherman Mystery-Batavia, OH Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:19 am
    ----
Okay, his friend sent me this reply.

" John's Sherman was sold at the auction at Boot Hill 20+ years ago. It went to KY. The Scorpion is on the 8x8 I sold him a couple of years ago. Dave Maphet has pictures of the "combination" ---which I saw yesterday. John is at Boot Hill and the phone number is the same as it has been for 30+ years. Tell them to call--he has some "different" ideas but is friendly."

Hope this helps,
Mike Haines

#5: Re: Former(?) Courthouse Sherman Mystery-Batavia, OH Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:15 am
    ----
Thanks for the info Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board