M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
    ----
http://www.fortcampbellcourier.com/news/article_b242f33c-b319-11e4-92f4-fb32dcd829a7.html

"The Sherman tank [...] became the newest addition to Fort Campbellā€™s Donald F. Pratt Museum."

Anyone has any additional photos or information? Whare does this Sherman come?

P-O

Last edited by the_shadock on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:50 pm
    ----
It was at Anniston. Don't know about it before that.

#3: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:07 pm
    ----
another tank than the Grizzly??

#4: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:54 pm
    ----
they want to convert is as a Duplex Drive !! that's a non-sense !!

#5: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:44 pm
    ----
Why didn't they requisition the duplex drive Sherman that is stored at Anniston? At least, that would get it indoors and on display to the public.

#6: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 am
    ----
well, if the Army people know a bit about Sherman tanks, they should be aware that the Duplex Drive at Anniston is not the correct model. It is based on an M4A2(76) HVSS.

The US Army used Duplex Drive tanks based only on M4A1(75), both small and large hatch hulls. In Normandy, the British used M4A4s and M4A2s, all the examples having 75mm guns ans VVSS.

The example at Anniston is a prototype built in 1945. Only 2 examples with HVSS and 76mm main guns were built. It never served in amphibious operations.

So, choosing an M4A1(75) to convert it as a Duplex Drive is a good idea, because it's the right variant. But I think that there are plenty other vehicles that need urgent restoration work, so that's a waste of time and money to transform this tank into a Duplex Drive. That's not a good choice, IMO.

P-O

Last edited by the_shadock on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

#7: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:48 pm
    ----
Thanks for the education, P-O!

I had no idea that there were Sherman DDs made post-Normandy.

However, knowing that DD at Anniston is one of two ever built only increases my desire to see it - LOL! I probably ought to seek professional help.

Cheers,
VB

#8: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:57 pm
    ----
here you could have further details :
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/duplexdrive/duplexdrive.html

The British Sherman DD conversion program ended in December 1944 after 693 units had been produced. This would seem like a sufficient number for training and further amphibious Operations after D-Day. However, they ordered an additional 300 US produced DDs as part of their 1945 Lend Lease requirements. These were offered to them based on the M4A2(76)HVSS, since that was the only Sherman being built for Lend Lease at the time. This was negotiated down to 200 units, and two pilot models (British nomenclature "Sherman IIIAY DD III") were completed in the Summer of 1945 at the Firestone Plant in Burlington, North Carolina. Production was scheduled at 50 per month starting in September, but the program was terminated due to the end of the war. One of the pilots was retained by the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground for historic purposes, and was on display there for many years. It is S/N 69278, accepted in May 1945, the final month of Fisher M4A2 production. It is now thought to be in storage at the Anniston Army Depot in Alabama.

P-O

#9: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:07 am
    ----
The DD at Anniston is the one that was stored for years at Aberdeen. For years it was in the fenced in Belair Rd yard. One of the successes I had there was when I had that yard opened up for tours on the weekend of the AMPS convention in nearby Havre de Grace. We had a very good turnout for the two 'sessions' we had the yard open.

#10: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:38 am
    ----
Bob - I really wish I could build a time machine and travel back to participate in your APG tours!!

P-O - Thanks for all the great info on your site regarding the DD Shermans. I've been wondering about the tanks on D-Day for years, so I appreciate the reports and charts on your site. The Balkowski book 'Omaha' has some stuff, but I haven't known where to look for more tank specific details.

Recommendations for books to check out regarding D-Day armor history are welcome!

#11: Re: M4A1(75) Sherman to be displayed at Fort Campbell Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm
    ----
Lately Steve Zaloga published a few interesting titles:
www.amazon.com/Armored...811707695/
www.amazon.com/Armored...811707717/
www.amazon.com/Armored...811704246/

All worth reading

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board