Hendon. RAF Museum
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:54 am
    ----
A great place, unlike other major plane museums in UK (Duxford, Cosford, Yeovilton) this is very easy to reach with public transport if you are in London:
www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/

Airspeed Oxford by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#2: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:55 am
    ----
Avro Lancaster by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#3: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:55 am
    ----
B-17 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#4: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:53 am
    ----
B-24 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#5: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:01 am
    ----
B-25J by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#6: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:28 am
    ----
Bf 109 E by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#7: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:15 pm
    ----
My favourite is still Brooklands which is a Transport museum so has aircraft (including Concorde) and road vehicles.
It has lots of exhibits, but is not as well funded as many museums.
Hence there is not as much space as other facilities.
But the content is fantastic and it's built on the site of the old Brooklands race-track (some of which still survives) and where Hawkers and Lancasters were made.
Barnes Wallace' (who my Father served his apprenticeship with after the war) office is preserved in situ.

www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

If you're only available for public transport, "The nearest railway station is Weybridge (less than a mile / 1.6 kilometers away) which is on the Woking to Waterloo and Staines to Weybridge lines."

It's also located quite close to 'Mercedes World' if you fancy a track day in some racier, more modern, vehicles.

I hope you get to see it and that the sun shines on you.
If you have problems getting to Brooklands during your UK visit, but would like to, please let me know.
I'm sure I will be able to arrange something to help you out.

Last edited by Shades on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

#8: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 pm
    ----
BROOKLANDS - the world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit, constructed at Weybridge, Surrey in 1907 - was more than a great sporting arena. Brooklands was the birthplace of British motorsport and aviation, home of Concorde and the site of many engineering and technological achievements throughout eight decades of the 20th century.

The Museum displays a wide range of Brooklands-related motoring and aviation exhibits ranging from giant racing cars, motorcycles and bicycles to an unparalleled collection of Hawker and Vickers/ BAC-built aircraft, including the Second World War Wellington Bomber, Viking, Varsity, Viscount, Vanguard, VC10, BAC One-Eleven and the only Concorde with public access in South East England.

There are many special events which take place here at weekends.
At this time of year though, they tend to be mostly track related than aviation.

#9: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:16 pm
    ----
- Shades

If you have problems getting to Brooklands during your UK visit, but would like to, please let me know.
I'm sure I will be able to arrange something to help you out.

Thanks, I was in the UK in October and visited: Artillery Museum, Science Museum and IWM in London. I also visited Hendon, Duxford and spend a day in Bovington.

At the moment Cosford and Yeolvilton are at the top of my list for next time in the UK, but I know about Brooklands and I may call you back someday. Thanks!

Massimo

#10: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:54 am
    ----
Bf 109 G by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#11: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:46 am
    ----
Bf 110 G by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#12: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:44 am
    ----
Blackburn Buccaneer by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#13: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:45 am
    ----
Boulton Paul Defiant by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#14: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:45 am
    ----
Bristol Beaufighter by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#15: Re: Hendon. RAF Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:24 pm
    ----
great collection

-> Officer's Club