Virginia War Museum Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:03 pm
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve added a gallery of photos from the Virginia War Museum in Newport News, VA. The gallery is far from complete as on the first visit (2008), I neglected to shoot everything in sight as I was pressed for time and knew I’d be able to return at a later date. Well, on that return a few years later (2011), we were greeted by a large NO PHOTOGRAPHY sign. I inquired and the museum was enforcing a strict NO PHOTOS policy inside the museum. While I understand the idea, I found my desire to pay the entrance fee and visit the museum disappear! I objected strongly to the policy and voted with my feet. I have no idea if the museum continues with the policy, but I hope not and continue to hold out some hope that I’ll be able to return and document the artillery pieces inside that I missed on the first go round. In the meantime......

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...s/n-fXRMbZ

#2: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:52 am
    ----
well, I've never understood how the museums think that the "no photo" policy would attract more visitors..

P-O

#3: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 am
    ----
I can understand places like Louvre or Uffizi, they make real money out of books, DVDs and merchandise, but it makes no sense for places that make no money that way.

Charging an extra fee for taking pictures is fine, forbidding is just stupid.
I can't count how many times I decided to visit a place after looking at somebody's else pictures. I traveled to places like Bucharest, Sofia and Belgrade only because a fellow enthusiast took pictures and shared them online.

Massimo

#4: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm
    ----
I can't understand such a policy either.
A couple of years agop a new museum in Belgium did this also ,but the next year they allowed photographing

Walter

#5: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:00 pm
    ----
Guess if the entire museum is funded privately that would be their business. But if they receive funds from public sources, Local, State or Federal, then the public should be allowed to take pictures. Pretty sure some of their collection is provided by TACOM and belongs to the "Public". Can't see how taking pictures can harm the displays or their attendance, if anything it might increase patronage.

#6: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:08 pm
    ----
Hi Guys,

Just to clarify my original post - the exhibits OUTSIDE the museum (many from TACOM, as JoeD pointed out) were ok to photograph. The photography ban was for the INSIDE exhibits only.

I agree about misunderstanding your target market. My interest in visiting a museum is only enhanced by seeing photographs of the collection. If I see that a museum has a particular artifact or vehicle, my desire is increased. It doesn't matter how many photos of a Tiger I see, I'm still gonna find a way to see a real one. There is no substitute for being in the presence of the real deal of anything - as listening to recording is not like seeing a performance live, nor looking at a lithograph or print comparing to standing in front of the Mona Lisa herself.

#7: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:31 am
    ----
1 reason is insurance. It keeps thief's from knowing exactly where to go to get the high value items.

I did some work for a Museum and that was what I was told anyway.

#8: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:31 pm
    ----
I think maybe some of that comes from Museum training that flash hurts paper/paintings, most art museum have a "no flash" rule. Light will destroy most things over time. We've all seen faded paint. I dont agree with it but I don't get to run museums.

#9: Re: Virginia War Museum Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:19 pm
    ----
well, "no flash" and "no photo" are not the same policy... I agree with the "no flash" policy at 100%. My collection of WW2 collectibles is in a place which is in the dark permanently.

"No photo" is just stupid, sorry to say. It will not discourage thieves.

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board