Greek Army Tank Museum?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:43 am
    ----
Anyone ever been? Tips/info? Will be in Athens for a couple days next week, might abandon the Family for a few hours...Just wondering if it's worth it to rent a car for the trip.
www.army.gr/structure/...index.html

Thanks,
Jim

#2: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 am
    ----
I've seen pictures online and seems it's worth a visit.
I hope some Greek friend will be able to offer some help.

Massimo

#3: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:25 pm
    ----
There's also the War Museum in Athens. I spotted it last time I was there but didn't have time to visit. I did notice what I think is a Cromwell turret and various artillery and aircraft as we drove past.

www.warmuseum.gr/english/

#4: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:24 pm
    ----
@ Tim:
It's a Centaur turret and the museum actually has two of them. A mostly complete Centaur resides in the Museum which is part of the Armor School grounds and another turret is still in an Army facility here in my hometown of Thessaloniki.

@ Jim:
Unfortunately, since the museum is part of an active facility, visits by civilians have to be arranged beforehand (I'd gone to a friend's swearing in ceremony back in 2000 and the museum was off-limits, but maybe because they were too busy with the ceremonies and couldn't spare staff to herd visitors around the museum). I think they'll turn you away if you just show up at the front gate.
Τhe number they're giving in the site (1.8832188) makes no sense to me. It should be the ten digit number 2108832188.
This is the best I can do for now. For better pictures from the museum (as a teaser and - in case you can't visit - compensation) see here: www.redstar.gr/Foto_re...Aulon.html (also includes the correct phone number).

#5: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 am
    ----
Thanks for the info! I'll try that number when we get there, for sure I'll go to the War Museum.

Cheers,
Jim

#6: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:37 pm
    ----
Good luck! The collection is definitely worth it, despite the distance involved.
P.S.: There are other monument tanks, mostly M47s and M48s scattered around the Armor Training Center's parade area. These are marked with an M on the fenders.

You can also visit the Army Park open-air expo, if it's still there - I can't see anything on Google Maps. It's very easy to get to and there's no admittance hassle whatsoever .
Here's a teaser:
www.flickr.com/photos/...377509013/

Google Maps coordinates: 37°59'24.1"N 23°46'36.2"E

To get there from the War Museum, follow Vassilisis Sofias Av. in a northeasterly direction until you get to the intersection with Messogeion Av. Follow it, still heading NE until you get to the intersection with Panagioti Kanellopoulou Av. Take a right there and presto, you'll be at the Army Park after a little while.

#7: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 am
    ----
Follow up. Didn't make it to the Tank Museum, problem one: phone number(s) were not in service, so no permission to get into the museum. And two: I had originally planned on renting a car to get there, but after seeing what traffic was like in Athens, quickly nixed that idea! Crazy...! Train was an option but just didn't have the time.
Made it to the War Museum, it was very good I thought, great arms collection. Thanks for the info though Costas, appreciated!

Jim

#8: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 pm
    ----
You are welcome.
I should have included at least one of the Greek information numbers, such as 11888. They could have given you a current number. ZMy omission.
Did you Get the chance to visit the open air exhibit at the Army Park?

#9: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:38 pm
    ----
Unfortunately not. For some reason I thought it was farther away; in hindsight (and looking at Google Earth too late!) it would have been a short taxi ride after the War Museum. Oh well, next time!

Cheers,
Jim

#10: Re: Greek Army Tank Museum? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:08 pm
    ----
I'm hoping to go down to Athens sometime in the summer to visit a good friend. Maybe I'll make time to head down to at least the Army Park and see if anything has changed since my last visit. Who knows, I may even get to visit the Armor School Museum, with a bit of luck and careful planning.

-> AFV News Discussion Board