Armour in Canada (east)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armour in Canada (east) Author: clausb PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:05 pm
    ----
I'm planning a holiday to Canada this summer. We will be travelling on the London - Toronto - Montreal - Quebec axis with a possible detour to Ottawa.

I'll have a bit of free time to look at green stuff of the armoured variety, preferably the 1914-1950 era. So if you have any tips, they will be more than welcome.

On my list so far are

- Borden Military Museum in Borden, Ontario
- Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa, Ontario. Is this the same as Oshawa Military and Industrial Museum?

Possibles so far are

- Canadian War Museum in Ottawa - but I'm not sure if they have any worthwhile armour there? May go anyway for general interest.
- Swords and Plougshares museum in Kars, Ontario. Their website does not appear to have been updated for some time - are they still in operation?

#2: Re: Armour in Canada (east) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:23 pm
    ----
This is what I have so far (as it happens they're mostly on that axis):

Preserved Tanks in Canada

Note the comments on Meaford Legion (it may have gone by now).

If you're asking for requests (?!) I'm short of photos of the following tanks:

- at Meaford base
- by Worthington barracks in Petawawa
- some at Petawawa
- most at LeBretton Flats
- new arrivals at Oshawa
- anything at Kars

- clausb

- Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa, Ontario. Is this the same as Oshawa Military and Industrial Museum?

Yes - see their write-ups for details.

- clausb
- Swords and Plougshares museum in Kars, Ontario. Their website does not appear to have been updated for some time - are they still in operation?

I don't have any recent news. The Google Street View link on my write-up page appears to show the tanks there in 2012. The sattelite view appears to show them there in 2015, but I'm not sure how well I trust their dates.

#3: Re: Armour in Canada (east) Author: clausb PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:29 am
    ----
Thanks, Trevor.

I will probably have to limit myself to 2-3 main locations and my camera is not an impressive performer if the lighting is not good, but I'll keep your requests in mind Smile

#4: Re: Armour in Canada (east) Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:51 pm
    ----
Here is a link to my list of Preserved AFVs in Canada. It may be of help along with Trevor's' info. I last updated it in Oct 2014, so it is reasonably current, but a few of these things are always being moved around just to keep us on our toes.
onedrive.live.com/view...qMcsse37N8

And here is a link to my photos of the vehicles on the list. I have managed to visit most of them over the decades, with much help from my very tolerant wife/navigator. s698.photobucket.com/u...n%20Canada

If at all possible, try to get to the War Museum in Ottawa, and plan at least a half day there as the AFV collection is very impressive.

Enjoy your trip.
Alf Adams

#5: Re: Armour in Canada (east) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:49 pm
    ----
I should have said Alf's lists are a primary source for me, and I also highly recommend the Canada Register (http://the.shadock.free.fr/Canada_AFVs.pdf) and the various books and websites by Harold Skaarup (e.g. http://silverhawkauthor.com/tanks-and-armoured-fighting-vehicles-preserved-in-canada-1-british-columbia-alberta-saskatchewan-and-manitoba_370.html). You'll see credits for all three throughout my website.

#6: Re: Armour in Canada (east) Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:42 am
    ----
I went to Oshawa and the Ottawa War Museum in late 2011 and both are excellent. Oshawa is also the base where Ian Flemming trained as a secret agent before writing the James Bond books!

#7: Re: Armour in Canada (east) Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:04 am
    ----
When you go to CFB Borden, make sure you set a custom white balance on your camera when you shoot inside the museum - otherwise your photos will have a very strong GREEN colour cast. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check your camera manual for custom white balance.

The Canadian War Museum is excellent! The main floor has been rearranged since my 2008 visit but you can look at our gallery to get an idea of the museum collections.

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...-Ottawa-ON

Oshawa museum is great fun and there is also an M4A2(76) HVSS on display at the Oshawa Armory.

Enjoy!
VB

#8: Re: Armour in Canada (east) Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:58 am
    ----
- vagabond
When you go to CFB Borden, make sure you set a custom white balance on your camera when you shoot inside the museum - otherwise your photos will have a very strong GREEN colour cast. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check your camera manual for custom white balance.

Yes, good point. I have seen many pictures from that place with an heavy green color cast Smile

My solution for similar cases is to shoot in RAW format, keep total flexibility about white balance and avoid any possible mistake. But it comes with a cost, post-processing all pictures is much more time-consuming than nailing a custom white balance upfront.

-> AFV News Discussion Board