Cougar update.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#16: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 am
    ----
So I'm on my way. Pretty much have everything back in but the radiator and the rest of the A/C parts. Have the compressor installed and that took 2 days. A lot of second guessing and not having things match up. The instructions aren't the best, some clear close up pics would be nice but at this point the major stress is out of the way.

#17: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:14 am
    ----
The big problem I had was the adapter bracket they give you that mounts on the stock compressor bracket was getting in the way of the stock fixed idler pulley. You guessed it, broke out the trusty hand file and went to work to create some clearance. Laughing

Tomorrow I'll flush out the evaporator and get the rest of the A/C parts installed.

#18: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:28 am
    ----
Looking good, and nice workaround. Isn't it funny how so many "bolt-on" parts, aren't?

Very impressive and can't wait to hear when you're cruising in style down the road again!

#19: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:18 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Looking good, and nice workaround. Isn't it funny how so many "bolt-on" parts, aren't?

Very impressive and can't wait to hear when you're cruising in style down the road again!

As with gun parts, car parts that are "bolt in/drop in" should always be followed with "* some fittment may be required".

#20: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:10 am
    ----
Next road block. The compressor and drier attaching brackets do not line up. As you can see from the pic when I align them, the bottom fitting is nowhere near where it should be and both of these are their new parts.

Email sent and reply was you can adjust (assume they mean "bend") soft aluminum fitting (which one?) to make fit. Rolling Eyes
If we're going to be playing email tag I might not see cold air until next Summer. Evil or Very Mad

#21: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:47 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Next road block. The compressor and drier attaching brackets do not line up. As you can see from the pic when I align them, the bottom fitting is nowhere near where it should be and both of these are their new parts.

Email sent and reply was you can adjust (assume they mean "bend") soft aluminum fitting (which one?) to make fit. Rolling Eyes
If we're going to be playing email tag I might not see cold air until next Summer. Evil or Very Mad

Hammer time? Smile

#22: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:29 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Hammer time? Smile

Or you'll get another pic of my handy metal filing work. Laughing

#23: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:05 am
    ----
Received email today that they are sending a new condenser, we'll see how it goes. While I'm waiting for that I can go ahead and get the expansion valve and lines attached to the evaporator.

Also need to replace the 2 trans cooling lines as seen in pic above. The left one I twisted or as I like to call it "Licoriced" about 20 years ago and the right one got the same treatment when I started the AC project. Amazing when you haven't wrenched something for a while how you forget the subtle things...like using 2 wrenches to loosen the trans cooling lines. Laughing

#24: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:50 pm
    ----
Glad to hear they are correcting the parts mistake. That looked like a lot of bending or filing.

I had some similarly-abused trans cooler lines on my '66 'Stang that caused me no end of grief until I decided to stop patching them and just replaced them. Fortunately those C4's can run entirely out of trans fluid several times without damage occurring.

#25: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:01 am
    ----
And the hits just keep coming. So while I'm waiting for the new condenser to get here from Florida I move on and get the rest done, test drive everything is running good, no oil or coolant leaks, etc.

I go ahead and install what AC lines I can until the new condenser gets here and come across this. Every now and then I would like to check the PS fluid level. Laughing

Currently have the Suction fitting at a 45 degree angle so I can just barely get the PS dipstick out.

#26: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:49 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
And the hits just keep coming. So while I'm waiting for the new condenser to get here from Florida I move on and get the rest done, test drive everything is running good, no oil or coolant leaks, etc.

I go ahead and install what AC lines I can until the new condenser gets here and come across this. Every now and then I would like to check the PS fluid level. Laughing

Currently have the Suction fitting at a 45 degree angle so I can just barely get the PS dipstick out.

Looks like there's room for an extension before the elbow. Not a fan of extra junctions, but ya' gotta' do what ya' gotta' do.

#27: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am
    ----
Forgive the potentially dumb question, but will the bracketry and A/C line routing support the compressor being rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise so the fittings are on top rather than on the side? And as long as the air cleaner and hood won't interfere with them sticking up slightly.

Granted it won't be as sleek, which is important too (but only to a degree!).

#28: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:22 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Forgive the potentially dumb question, but will the bracketry and A/C line routing support the compressor being rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise so the fittings are on top rather than on the side? And as long as the air cleaner and hood won't interfere with them sticking up slightly.

Granted it won't be as sleek, which is important too (but only to a degree!).

I was thinking the same thing but thought I read that it shouldn't be mounted that way. After re-reading the instructions it says that "it can be mounted any direction except for with the oil plug (currently on side of compressor) pointing below the center line of the compressor" which would mean the fittings pointing downwards which is useless anyways with the available space.

The other problem would be the line coming off the condenser which would then have to come up and over the compressor to get to that top fitting / left if the fittings were facing up. Might have a problem with that interfering with the clutch and pulley on the compressor. Either way I have an email and pic in to the technician I've been dealing with, we'll see what he says.

#29: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:06 am
    ----
Posting this for inspirational purposes only - just think to yourself, "What would David Freiburger do?". Then go do the exact OPPOSITE!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U81_0waqEWA

#30: Re: Cougar update. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:07 am
    ----
LOL, the work they put into getting those blowers in there is how I feel with my AC. As junky as that car was, it sounded awesome!

Think my problem with the PS clearance will be solved with a shorter or longer belt. Doing some research and will let you know what I come up with.

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum