Weald Foundation's website live
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Weald Foundation's website live Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:11 pm
    ----
www.wealdfoundation.org/

Moderator: In the interest of clarifying the link posted, I've copied and pasted the home page intro so nobody has to wander into any blind alleys.

"Welcome to the Weald Foundation based in the Weald of Kent. Our collection and restoration activities have broadened beyond the WWII German vehicles of our SdKfz Military Vehicle Foundation fold to encompass new projects from both world wars. These will deliver unique, unrepresented vehicles from a number of nations. To find out more have a look around the 'About Us' section. "

If they have any objection, someone can let me know and I'll take the site description down.- Doug

#2: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:19 pm
    ----
a shame that a great part of the photos and texts can't be viewed without being a member.. however, I can understand the Foundation's necessity to raise some money>.

P-O

#3: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: earlymb PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:26 am
    ----
- the_shadock
a shame that a great part of the photos and texts can't be viewed without being a member.. however, I can understand the Foundation's necessity to raise some money>.

P-O

Yes, but if you won't even share some generic 'portrait' photos of your collection you're just shooting yourself in the foot. I can understand they charge a price for the 100's of close-up detailed shots they must have, but if you expect people to pay for something they can't even see it's just greedy.

I hope that will change though as the site isn't finished yet apparently.

#4: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:18 pm
    ----
My understanding is that they still had not figured out how to make really reliable fuses for HEAT ammo for higher velocity guns in WW2. That is why you only see it for fairly low velocity weapons such as the German L24 75mm gun on the Pz IV or the Italian Semovente 75/18. These HEAT rounds had a penetration figure only a bit more than their diameter (80-90mm) so they were not all that much more effective than the AP ammo fired from US 75 mm guns.

#5: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:38 pm
    ----
- Walter_Sobchak
My understanding is that they still had not figured out how to make really reliable fuses for HEAT ammo for higher velocity guns in WW2. That is why you only see it for fairly low velocity weapons such as the German L24 75mm gun on the Pz IV or the Italian Semovente 75/18. These HEAT rounds had a penetration figure only a bit more than their diameter (80-90mm) so they were not all that much more effective than the AP ammo fired from US 75 mm guns.

Wrong thread, Walter. I don't think I can move your post cleanly without it becoming mine, but you can....just copy/paste and then delete this one. Wink

-D.

#6: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: comtech0057 PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:05 pm
    ----
Can anyone tell me if a web membership to the Weald Foundation is worth the money? Are you allowed to print off the articles or download the pictures? £36.00 annually is a lot of money just to view.

Comtech

#7: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:55 pm
    ----
I am a member of that website
My expectation was better than it actualy is
The stories are good but the pictures are very small
So from all the detail pictures they provide ,I see no use because they are so small.
On the other hand when I complained about this ,they send me 2 pictures that I asked for in higher resolution

Walter

#8: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: comtech0057 PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:29 am
    ----
Thanks for the info, still need to think on this one.

Michael

#9: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: ajmac PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:58 am
    ----
Just follow them on Facebook, they post regular video updates on the FT and the StuGs.

#10: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: JohnPrigentLocation: Sussex, UK PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:00 am
    ----
I don't quite understand that, Walter. As a paying member you should be able to log in and then click on the small pictures at the side to see larger versions. I think it's good value for the money, and recommend it - even if the ongoing project at any time isn't someone's favourite tank it's still of interest generally.
Cheers
John

#11: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:16 pm
    ----
Pictures don't come any bigger then 800x800
Here is the response I got

Dear Walter

Please excuse the late response to your email. Thank you for your insight into the articles and the images. We are sorry you are unhappy with the resolution of the images. We are currently unable to provide higher resolution photos as our current website format is unable to support images larger than 800 x 800 pixels. We're sorry we are unable to accommodate you online but which photo is it that you are interested in? We are unable to provide photos of vehicles which are no longer in our collection or which are owned by another entity - museum or individual.

I hope this answers your question. Thank you very much for your enquiry.

Best wishes from the team

#12: Re: Weald Foundation's website live Author: JohnPrigentLocation: Sussex, UK PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:55 pm
    ----
That's interesting Walter. You must have a bigger, or higher-res, screen than me because I hadn't realised the photos were such low resolution.
Cheers
John

-> AFV News Discussion Board