Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:13 pm
    ----
Hi Everyone,

We’ve posted a gallery of the Patton Museum at Ft Knox (Pre-BRAC photos from 2006-2010) and a separate gallery of our August 2010 behind-the-scenes tour of the Richardson Motor Pool (courtesy of Don ‘Dontos’ Moriarty) to our SmugMug site. Enjoy the walk down memory lane - it was fun to see all the stuff again as we put the galleries together.

Patton Museum Gallery Link:
www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...Y/n-DHNWCX

Richardson, MP Gallery Link:
www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...x/n-qZp4kf

#2: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:39 am
    ----
Great photos Vagabond. Thanks so much for posting them even though it makes me heartsick to see them. It will always be the most favorite time of my life. I don't think I will ever get over it.

"Over Macho Grande?" "No, I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande." Smile

Garry

#3: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:51 pm
    ----
Thanks Garry.

It was bittersweet for me and I only visited a few days over the years. I imagine its tough for you regulars.

I'm very glad that Don made the time to give us the tour. We got to actually SEE stuff I'd heard about for years. Just being next to the genuine Cobra King was a thrill of a lifetime - you lucky guys got to see and be around that stuff all the time. Seems like every time I turned around, Don was climbing into something new and usually crewed by yellowjackets - LOL!

I'm glad you have good memories.

#4: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:11 pm
    ----
Amazing, did you get any shots of the interior of cobra king? I heard is was burned pretty badly.

Was that a M60A2 turret on a T95 experimental hull?

#5: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:28 pm
    ----
You can see the story and photos of the restoration of Cobra King here: armorfortheages.com/Mi...aKing.html

Click on the photo gallery links at the bottom of the page to see the photos.

Garry

#6: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:10 pm
    ----
What was that M41 Bulldog chassis with the white cap on the turret ring? Driver training vehicle?

#7: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:57 am
    ----
It's a QM41, likely a one-off:

UID 1303: QM41 Target Puller, Fort Knox

#8: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:00 pm
    ----
Thanks

#9: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:46 pm
    ----
What is that trackless Sherman with the spikes sticking off the front?

#10: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:19 pm
    ----
Silvio,
I know you don't have the RP Hunnicutt books, but this vehicle is shown in "Sherman" page 468 as a M4A4 used for experiments with swimming devices (see rear view in Vagabond's photos) and spigot mortars. It was designed to destroy obstacles during assault landings. Hope this helps. Rick

#11: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:46 pm
    ----
Thanks. Yes, I just found out about his books, then again trucks is where I spend most of my time

#12: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:36 pm
    ----
A few of the Hunnicutt books have been re-issued, including the Sherman book. Rick Eshleman posted about them fairly recently.

I purchased the Sherman book and have been very happy with it.

#13: Re: Patton Museum & Richardson MP -Ft Knox Galleries Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:18 am
    ----
I just purchased his Bradley book. Should be in tomorrow

-> AFV News Discussion Board