Départ du Saint Chamond
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Départ du Saint Chamond Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 pm
    ----
www.museedesblindes.fr...nt-chamond

Looks like Saumur's St Chamond (originally from the Ordnance Museum) is going to be restored.

Neil

#2: Re: Départ du Saint Chamond Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:19 pm
    ----
to running condition

#3: Re: Départ du Saint Chamond Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:18 pm
    ----
Why is the Ordnance collection being broken up? Panther, Tiger II, and the Tiger I when to the armor museum. There was a Czech that went over sees, a few pieces went to the artillery museum in Fort Sill, now this?

#4: Re: Départ du Saint Chamond Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:19 pm
    ----
it dates back from 1986... IIRC, the French got a Saint Chamond ans a Schneider tank, both single survivors worldwide, for a soviet T-72 tank captured in Chad and shipped to the USA.

P-O

#5: Re: Départ du Saint Chamond Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:27 am
    ----
Sure sounds like we got the shaft.

#6: Re: Départ du Saint Chamond Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:07 am
    ----
Like P-O said, the St Chamond and Schneider are old news. The French didnt have any, so the museum traded them to the French. I cant really begrudge them those - although thankfully the museum didnt also trade away the GPF 194.

More recently a lot of pieces from the Ordnance Museum have been sent to various places. Major reason being the lack of storage at Fort Lee.

Now, with the new training support facility funded & signed into law, set to open in 2018 (with Benning's facility not yet funded and wouldnt open until 2019 or 2020)... Well, I guess we'll have to see if anything comes back.

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board