Panther II ??
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Panther II ?? Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:32 pm
    ----
Hi,

www.warhistoryonline.c...21862.html

Mr. Wheatcroft owns the second Panther II (or parts) ?
Would be great news.

Who knows more?

Regards,
Wim

#2: Re: Panther II ?? Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:36 pm
    ----
The only panther II I know of is the the Armor and Calvary Collection (formally the Patton Museum.) Maybe they mean the later production Panther with the machine gun port and the "chinned" turret.

#3: Re: Panther II ?? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:34 pm
    ----
The only official Panther II is the Benning one - I'll be skeptical that they've found another until I've seen a picture. Alternatively maybe they mean Panther II turret, and they've got hold of the one at Bovington (bottom picture).

#4: Re: Panther II ?? Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:57 pm
    ----
Hi,

Well I do not believe it either until I see a picture. But you never know what he found in Russia.
The Bovington turret is not a Panther II turret.

Regards,
Wim.

#5: Re: Panther II ?? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:45 pm
    ----
In what way is it not a Panther II turret? Are you thinking it's from an Ausf F?

#6: Re: Panther II ?? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:34 pm
    ----
The schmalturm turret was for the Panther F tank only. NO TURRETS were ever built for the Panther II tank.

Jeff

#7: Re: Panther II ?? Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:56 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
The schmalturm turret was for the Panther F tank only. NO TURRETS were ever built for the Panther II tank.

Jeff

To add on to what Jeff said, the fact that no turrets were built for the Panther II is noted in the Tom Jentz book "Germany's Panther Tank."

#8: Re: Panther II ?? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:30 pm
    ----
Of course!

I have studied the Panther and those two versions... the Panther II and Panther F exclusively and ALL you want to know is in that publication, along with Panzer Tracts.

Jeff

#9: Re: Panther II ?? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 pm
    ----
From what I know none of the 3 Wheatcroft Panthers is a II. They are all Ausf. A. One Demag early (the one restored) with the slot/flap MG mount and two mid production hulls. One of the remaining A will be made into a D with components on hand and a new glacis plate (the one on it is shot to bits). So unless he has a number 4 tucked away somewhere? Smile

#10: Re: Panther II ?? Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:12 pm
    ----
Who is in contact with Mr. Wheatcroft and will ask him?
Member Zundappuk?

Regards,
Wim.

#11: Re: Panther II ?? Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:06 pm
    ----
- WimD.
Who is in contact with Mr. Wheatcroft and will ask him?
Member Zundappuk?

Regards,
Wim.

I can't promise anything as I don't speak with him very often, and if he wants to keep it quiet then so be it.

Zundappuk

-> AFV News Discussion Board