Research at the USAHEC center
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Research at the USAHEC center Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:38 am
    ----
Has anyone done any research at the USAHEC at Carlisle Barracks? What type of material is in their archive??

Thanks.

#2: Re: Research at the USAHEC center Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:08 am
    ----
- silviop15
Has anyone done any research at the USAHEC at Carlisle Barracks? What type of material is in their archive??

Thanks.

Pretty much everything pertaining to U.S. Army (and no doubt a lot of other services). Center for Military History. Have never visited, but wish I could spend about a month there. Their library is reportedly awesome and a lot of it is on line.

#3: Re: Research at the USAHEC center Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:25 am
    ----
------------------------------------------------------------------REDACTED---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by silviop15 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total

#4: Re: Research at the USAHEC center Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:29 am
    ----
- silviop15
Should I visit the War College library or Ridge Hall Research room at the USAHEC

Check their websites first and see what's possible and required.

#5: Re: Research at the USAHEC center Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:37 am
    ----
I agree with JG3000, just about everything. They are very helpful....

#6: Re: Research at the USAHEC center Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:41 am
    ----
I am more interested in historical stuff and do not have much time so I think Ridgeway it is.

#7: Re: Research at the USAHEC center Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:44 am
    ----
Hi

I have done hours of research there. I did my thesis on the Southwest Pacific Area. The archives are amazing and a great deal friendlier then the National Archives. Regarding subjects do you have something in mind I can tell you they specialize in a lot of things...at the same time they have some special collections too that are unique.

Let me know maybe I can help guide you to resources

Vr

Q

#8: Re: Research at the USAHEC center Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:20 pm
    ----
I used to do research there in the 1980s, when it was in a Carlisle Barracks building and called "Military History Institute". I've also checked out the USAHEC while visiting the displays around the new buildings, very impressive. Since I now live in DE, can't get the time to be there like when I lived in PA.
If you go the collections you'll want access to are: General Edward Almond. Col. George Jarrett (former Ordnance Museum Curator), Gen. Omar Bradley, Colby collection, and ask what other collections they have relating to AFVs. For Civil War buffs, the collections relating to it are immense. The collections consist of documents, photos, films, and some physical items. Always best to contact them first, so they can pull items when you are there. Rick

-> AFV News Discussion Board