American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:37 pm
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve added a gallery of images from the extensive and impressive collection in South El Monte, CA at the American Military Museum - aka “Tankland.” The museum has all sorts of stuff from all branches of service; a veritable treasure trove. Enjoy!

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...s/n-bnVj8H

#2: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 pm
    ----
Wow that is a lot of images, how long did it take to photograph them all?

Also, what is up with the M114? www.vgbimages.com/AFV-.../i-JS8w7j6

Vents on the side-rear and a box over the rear observers hatch? Ours was cut in almost the exact same place on the side.

#3: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:19 pm
    ----
The shoot took about 3 hours, but part of that was spent chatting with Craig Michelson. L & I are well practiced at the run & gun photo shoot - LOL!!!

The REAL investment of time is post-processing the images - organizing them and tweaking levels, then uploading and naming the dang things - which is why it's taken us a long time to move through the backlog.

I recommend being wealthy and having a support staff - LOL!! Smile

#4: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:41 pm
    ----
HA!!!

I wonder if Roy could chime in on that weird M114.

#5: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:26 pm
    ----
Vagabond, I have written an app to name my tank photos - you're welcome to a copy if it would be useful to you.

#6: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:28 pm
    ----
The thing I liked best about Tankland is they have "stuff" everywhere you look you see something new. I really don't care for the diorama museums we are getting today, millions of dollars for displays. Most of what the Army took from Aberdeen and Knox will never be seen again, you don't need it for a diorama. I'm not sure it wouldn't be better to give most of it to museums in other countries that seem to be able to display them without spending millions. France, Great Britain and Russia come to mind as folks that could get the job done. IMHO......

#7: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 pm
    ----
Couldn't agree more.

#8: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:17 pm
    ----
well, the problem is that average people ask for tanks in dioramas, they want to have a full-size photograph of how it has been in 1945 or 1952 or so. We are only a few persons that like to see tanks for what they are. Average people want to see a film scene, a realistic thing. Not only rows of vehicles parked together.

#9: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:10 pm
    ----
Nice photos Paul and Loren! Thanks for sharing. Rick

#10: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:09 pm
    ----
Is that Ha Go light tank some sort of reproduction? It looks weird.

#11: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:17 pm
    ----
It is, it is based on a M5 HST. It was a movie prop and was recently sold.

#12: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:15 pm
    ----
Trevor - thanks for the offer!!! What I meant was more the time to Title the photos on the SmugMug site. The only time saver for me on that would be to have someone else do it!! Minions needed - apply within!!

Thanks, Rick!

Walter - yes, the Ha Go was built for the "Windtalkers" movie based on, as Silvio said, an M5 HST.

Regarding the diorama idea - I had heard from a museum curator or two that the Army had a requirement for museums that they use very expensive deluxe mannequins for dioramas and by requiring their use, made it ridiculously expensive.

I, too am a fan of the "Here's the tank" displays instead of the diorama approach.

#13: Re: American Military Museum, CA (Tankland) Gallery Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:00 pm
    ----
Maybe the new curator of CMH will change that. We can hope'

I think the "here is the tank" idea is much better as you get more stuff inside. A small sign telling about the tank is even better for the public.

I hope when the permanent building at the NACM is build, the temporary structures stay up to house some of the prototype tanks the public never got to see at Aberdeen. It is better than sitting outside in Anniston with no protection.

-> AFV News Discussion Board