Sound Probs.
-> Software

#1: Sound Probs. Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:43 am
    ----
Got to be software! In order for the mic to work in Ventrilo lately I have to reboot and sometimes 2 or 3 times. It sounds like I am under water unless I do this. So I decided to update my drivers on the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Win 7 64bit. Downloaded the new driver and clicked install. Went OK until it said to reboot. I rebooted and this just happen to be the time when Smart Defrag 4 decided to defrag the registry at startup and it rebooted again after that. Dang no sound at all. Tried to reinstall driver got this error message "You have previously installed drivers without rebooting. please reboot and try again" I have reboooted at least 50 times since, deleted the sound card and drivers with device manger, cleaned drivers with Driver Clean Pro, cleaned regisrty, deleted all programs associated with the sound card, did a sys restore and pulled all my hair out Evil or Very Mad I am still getting that same error message. Forgot to mention that the sound works fine on the second partition of Win 7. Kinda crazy huh. No luck on this end Googling that error message that I had no tried. Bush can I borrow your 45?

HELP!!!! Thnx for any suggestion upfront.

#2: Re: Sound Probs. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 pm
    ----
I'm in the middle of "upgrading" windows 7 to windows 10, Homey.
Sound issues and graphic issues, but it doesn't tell you that they're your problem.
You have to find out and then search the web to find out it's a recognised issue and what others are doing about it.

Hence my suggestion of deleting your soundcard hardware.
Your system won't realise you have a soundcard then until you reboot.
Once rebooted, it will either see your specific soundcard or a "Windows Generic Soundcard".
The click it in Device Manager and select the option to upgrade the driver.
It will ask if you want Windows to do that automatically online or have you manually browse for it.
Select the manual option and navigate to where you've saved the driver.
If the driver hasn't been unpacked, you will have to do that.
This may allow Windows to then see your soundcard.
It would be nice.
This is M$ though.....

Wish I could give you step-by-step instructions, but I'm already in Win10 and it's all I can do to get the bastid to boot without one of four differing BSoD message and can't remember the sequence for Win 7 now.
If I ever see Bill Gates.......!!!!!!

() 8-]

#3: Re: Sound Probs. Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:54 am
    ----
Thnx! I wound up taking the sound card out then deleting everything that had to do with Creative, Let windows find onboard sound then I reinstalled the SB card and let Windows download software for the card. It actually downloaded the same software I was having trouble with from Creative and installed it. Went to Device Manager and disabled the onboard sound and the SB card started working again. Crazy ass puter can make something so easy so complicated...LOL. Not sure if the mic now works in Ventrilo as I lost the password for the server I using...System Restore caused this... while gaming but should know soon.

#4: Re: Sound Probs. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:13 pm
    ----
Good luck.
I have all my passwords, along with their user ID's and url's, saved in an excel spreadsheet, just in case.

If you upgrade to 10 from 7, btw, you may have similar BSoD's as I did.
The first 'fix' is to upgrade your graphics and sound drivers.
DO NOT use the windows drivers; go to NVidia and Creative for theirs.
There's some kind of M$ driver conflict in Win10.

I'm still getting various BSoD's on boot but I'm sick of searching for fixes now.
I'll just buy the bloody thing when it's released and do a clean install.

Next time I'm ready to replace my system I'm just going to go fruity!
(Apple)

{ 8-]

-> Software