Repaint Story
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Repaint Story Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:18 am
    ----
So as maybe anyone noticed, I have this favorite aircraft that I like to fly all over the place in FSX - the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon. I won't go into why because I'd be here all day yapping about it.

It's also my favorite plane to do repaints for because there's such a large variety of subject matter for the different variants from utility, bush flying, pleasure flying and aerobatics. I've done quite a few repaints now, some of which have been in my POTD screenies and some I haven't posted yet. ( ) I upload most of 'em to AvSIM since, to my recollection, I don't think any of us here at Com-C besides me are into this plane.

Between paint jobs I'm always cruising the web for more candidates and a couple weeks ago I found this rather interesting Scout version with bush tires and an interesting logo on the tail:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001159019.html <-- Check out the vari menni hi-res shots with lots of details and angles

Paging through some of the pics, this is also one of the most well-documented Scouts I've seen in terms of photos, so it was an attractive candidate. The logo on the tail and matching sign on the hangar were specific points of interest though. Particularly when you see the logo is a motorcycle leaned over in a turn with a Spitfire in the background. So I got to work and as I was working on it I also wanted to find out what the story was behind it. Turns out SZP is KSZP Santa Paula airport in CA, and CLASS is a motorcycle riding school owned an operated by Reg Pridmore - 3-time AMA Superbike Champion and AMA hall of fame member. Certainly explains a lot about the mucho cool stuff in his hangar / man-cave. So how cool is that?

As I got near completing the repaint I kind of had a dilemma on my hands because I didn't want to upload & publish something using someone's personal artwork, not to mention their actual plane, without their consent. And the repaint was coming out so nice I didn't want to just keep it to myself. So I went out on a limb and wrote an email to CLASS explaining what I was trying to do, asking them to forward the request on to Mr. Pridmore (it's kind of weird trying to describe the hobby of paint virtual aircraft for a flight simulator - not something we put into words every day). I also greased the skids a little bit by mentioning my own motorcycle habits.

I didn't really expect a reply to such an off-the-wall request but can you believe I got a response the next day form the man himself?

Hi Erich,

Interesting letter, glad you like what I created back in 2008. I have a larger version of that picture on my CLASS Motorcycle School trailer, both sides and on the back. I flew a Spitfire in England a few years prior, and though I did race for Honda at one point, that picture is not me, it’s my good friend Nicky Hayden. My wife helped put the image together with the theme “Can’t catch you on the ground, I’ll get you with guns”. I’ve still got my Scout and my workhorse trailer and yes, you are welcome to use the artwork to share with others, Nicky will love it.

We’ll be at VIR down near Danville, VA for schools in October. Come down and say hi.

cheers,

Reg

CLASS Motorcycle Schools
320 East Santa Maria St Ste M
Santa Paula, CA 93060
www.classrides.com

How cool is that? And... Nicki Hayden, seriously? Holy cow.

I could go for a track day too, I'll tell ya. I spent a weekend taking a Lee Parks advanced riding course a couple years ago and had a blast. Some track time would be awesome!

So anyway I sent him some pics of the finished product:

And I got a nice reply back for that too:

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the shots, they look very real. I used the image on my school trailer, get a lot of comments on it. On another note, if you desire to ride at VIR, get signed up online fairly soon. It is approx 2/3 full already and is a two-day school. You can go to classrides.com and check out more about the schedule and the track. It’s not all about racing, more about control and technique. There is at least one youtube video of some laps at VIR on our classrides channel.

cheers,

Reg

Think I'll be working on getting in shape for October. Danville is a few hours ride away... Smile

Love this hobby!

#2: Re: Repaint Story Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:09 am
    ----
That's awesome, Erich...Reg Pridmore is a genuine legend...so you've now had your "brush with greatness". Hopefully, you can extend your exchanges into wonderful tales of motorcycle lore!

BTW, I live about 30 minutes from VIR and did the SRT challenge school there, as you know (I also still have your GoPro, BTW). Maybe we can arrange a rendesvouz?

#3: Re: Repaint Story Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:38 pm
    ----
That woukd make for an ultimate road trip! I need to figure out some of the logistics. As much as I like the idea of riding my bike down there, then taking it on the track, then riding home, that would be asking a lot of it. I'm not quite sure what is involved in prepping it once I get there. Maybe renting a small sportbike would be wiser. I also need to see if my commuter-grade riding gear is acceptable or if they rent leathers. And theyd have to be big ones at that. Smile

#4: Re: Repaint Story Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:10 pm
    ----
That's Very Cool Erich! Look forward to hearing about the event if you can make it.

As usual your paint on that aircraft is awesome.

#5: Re: Repaint Story Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:31 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
That woukd make for an ultimate road trip! I need to figure out some of the logistics. As much as I like the idea of riding my bike down there, then taking it on the track, then riding home, that would be asking a lot of it. I'm not quite sure what is involved in prepping it once I get there. Maybe renting a small sportbike would be wiser. I also need to see if my commuter-grade riding gear is acceptable or if they rent leathers. And theyd have to be big ones at that. Smile

If this is one of his regular schools, I believe they may provide the machines and I'd recommend going that route. I'd even go so far as suggesting you drive just in case you manage to hurt yourself or your bike so far from home.

Pridmore is known for a great many good things and achievements, but being the most diplomatic is not necessarily among them, for what that's worth. Take a thick skin. Wink

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum