APG PzKpfw III N
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: APG PzKpfw III N Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:57 pm
    ----
According to Trevor's preservedtanks.com site and Surviving Panzers site, the former APG Panzer III N with turret schurzen is described as being recovered in Germany post-war. Does anyone know where this information came from? Was there anything about exact location, unit etc.?

Thanks,
Garry

#2: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:40 am
    ----
It was probably in the vehicle file at the APG Museum. Each artifact had a folder filed by acquisition number that had the museums records for that artifact. Some folders were better than others. I have some other older record stashed away on my computers. I'll see what I can dig up.

#3: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:09 pm
    ----
Hi Bob.
Just wondering if you have had any luck finding out anything on the origins of the Pz III N.

Thanks,
Garry

#4: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:12 pm
    ----
Haven't found my old files yet. A lot of the German 'stuff' came from a depot/testing grounds that was captured at the end of the war. The name escapes me (I think begins with an H) it could have very likely come from there.

I wonder what happened to the vehicle files/folders from APG? Are they at Ft Lee? It would be a shame if they were lost.

#5: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:44 pm
    ----
I don't know. They aren't at Benning. If they were available, I think NACM director Len Dyer would have requested them. I hope they were transferred to Fort Lee and not to the land fill.

Thanks,
Garry

#6: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:57 pm
    ----
Hillerslieben?

#7: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:44 am
    ----
- the_shadock
Hillerslieben?

Sounds right

I also just thought of another source - The old 'Tank Data' books. The data in them was from the APG vehicle data files

#8: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:14 pm
    ----
It must be Hillersleben instead of Hillerslieben
Regards,
Lesley

#9: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:07 pm
    ----
From Tank Data.....................Remarks: Specimen from ETO. An expedient to make use of the remaining Panzer III chassis as the Panzer III was becoming obsolete for use as a tank. Only a few vehicles were assembled with this gun.

#10: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:35 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
According to Trevor's preservedtanks.com site and Surviving Panzers site, the former APG Panzer III N with turret schurzen is described as being recovered in Germany post-war. Does anyone know where this information came from? Was there anything about exact location, unit etc.?

I've checked my files (actually old index cards) and I don't have anything more.

#11: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:06 pm
    ----
If it was at Hillersleben Proving Grounds, it may make sense on a couple of features. In an APG photo taken after its arrival, it has its chassis number stenciled on the front plate next to the hull MG. It also has it on the driver's visor. The number 245 is also on the front plate next to the driver's visor. I haven't noticed photos of other German combat vehicles marked this way, so this may be something done at training areas.

It looks as if the chassis number is 74887 or it could be 74883 of maybe it's a 2. It's hard to tell. Anyone know for sure?

#12: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:52 pm
    ----
For those who don't know, whats Hillersleben?

#13: Re: APG PzKpfw III N Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:13 am
    ----
It was the equivalent of the Aberdeen Proving Grounds for the Germans. New weapons and vehicles were tested there.

I also had a thought about the Pz. IV D with the 75mm L/43 that was at APG that had its gun removed and replaced with the L/24 from the other Pz III N. It may have been from Hillersleben and been a test bed for the long 75. It would also be interesting to find out.

Garry

-> AFV News Discussion Board