NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 pm
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve posted a gallery of images of the M60A1/A3 on display at the NJNG Armory in Dover, NJ. This tank is painted up like the US Flag! Wild!

The tank is SN 2856A, RN JJO4W9 and is listed in the register as an M60A1/A3 - hence my title. Here’s my question for JoeD or others - is it an A1 or A3 or an A3 with A1 features, etc? Thanks in advance for your help!

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...J/n-9294s5

#2: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:04 am
    ----
I wonder how long it took them to paint. They even did the lower hull.

#3: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:03 pm
    ----
Whenever I see images of this tank I think of owners who dress their dogs up in silly costumes, especially working dog breeds. I always believe that deep inside these poor animals feel embarrassed. If a tank had feelings I believe this one would say "Shoot Me, please". Well at least she isn't underwater as a reef or used as a hard target, although those two options seem more noble and actually serve a purpose.

Paul,

This is an M60A3 TTS. Door on TC's right side rangefinder blister along with crosswind sensor and thermal shroud indicate so. The gunners sight housing (which usually is removed when de milled) is rounded on top instead of flat, indicating a TTS unit was/is installed. The searchlight power receptacle located on the top center of the turret is also capped off and welded, another indicator of having a TTS. This is one of those A3's built at Anniston Army Depot and in this case one made from A1 parts instead of converted. The Turret is the late A1 casting and was not originally installed on this hull. The hull being originally one of the initial batch of M60A1's. Can't be certain but from what I can tell the original SN is 4212, which is much clearer on the deck than on the hull. Makes the hull a late 9B series RN originally. She should have a large escape hatch based on that. The RN JJ04W8 is the new A3 number assigned when built as an A3. The Turret casting is a later type first seen with the 09A series hulls with the 4 larger horizontal lifting eyes along each side. This is a GEN 2 hull with the 3 lighter vertical eyes/rings welded on. Glad you shared these and provided the SN and RN.

#4: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:58 pm
    ----
I just noticed the phone number. What gives?

#5: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: clausb PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 am
    ----
Still better than this:

#6: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Paul,

This is an M60A3 TTS. Door on TC's right side rangefinder blister along with crosswind sensor and thermal shroud indicate so. The gunners sight housing (which usually is removed when de milled) is rounded on top instead of flat, indicating a TTS unit was/is installed. The searchlight power receptacle located on the top center of the turret is also capped off and welded, another indicator of having a TTS. This is one of those A3's built at Anniston Army Depot and in this case one made from A1 parts instead of converted. The Turret is the late A1 casting and was not originally installed on this hull. The hull being originally one of the initial batch of M60A1's. Can't be certain but from what I can tell the original SN is 4212, which is much clearer on the deck than on the hull. Makes the hull a late 9B series RN originally. She should have a large escape hatch based on that. The RN JJ04W8 is the new A3 number assigned when built as an A3. The Turret casting is a later type first seen with the 09A series hulls with the 4 larger horizontal lifting eyes along each side. This is a GEN 2 hull with the 3 lighter vertical eyes/rings welded on. Glad you shared these and provided the SN and RN.

Thanks for the education, Joe!!
I've wondered if there was a way yo externally ID a M60A3 TTS and now I know! Terrific!

#7: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 pm
    ----
- clausb
Still better than this:

Guys!!

Here's a way to get more wives interested in AFVs!!

AFV cover Knitting/Crochet contests!!

That's a whole untapped market right there!

#8: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:28 am
    ----
Maybe we need to start a project to knit or crochet 'Tank Cosies' for the display tanks in our local areas.

#9: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:22 pm
    ----
- JWB2
I just noticed the phone number. What gives?

Looked it up and it is the phone number for Army National Guard recruiting.

Clever.

#10: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:45 am
    ----
This is not a mockup and unfortunately the video does not convey the obnoxiousness of the paint they used on Planes of Fame's Sherman tank. It was a neon green with metal flake in the paint so it sparkled in the light.

Nike Commercial: youtu.be/H3pjg2f56k0?t=22s

Wheels

#11: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 am
    ----
- clausb
Still better than this:

What if the Chaffee was chilly? Smile

#12: Re: NJNG Armory - Dover, NJ - M60A1/A3 Gallery Author: earlymb PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:27 pm
    ----
I like the Evel Knievel-outfit though Mr. Green

-> AFV News Discussion Board