Woolwich. Firepower
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 am
    ----
Thunderbird by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#32: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:41 am
    ----
I only posted a selection of pictures here. For a whole album you can look on Flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/...8262827342

#33: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 am
    ----
Too bad. I really enjoyed that museum. An old coworker was on the board, I'll have to see what happened.

What was the impetus? I know the rest of the Arsenal area was redeveloped - was there pressure for more development?

#34: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:10 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Too bad. I really enjoyed that museum.

Same for me

- Neil_Baumgardner
What was the impetus? I know the rest of the Arsenal area was redeveloped - was there pressure for more development?

As far as I know that was the cause

Massimo

#35: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:54 am
    ----
Too far off the beaten tourist track, being south of the Thames & in East London. You had to be really interested in what was there to go.

#36: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:30 pm
    ----
Shifting it to Larkhill is just going to make the situation worse!

#37: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:09 am
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
Too far off the beaten tourist track, being south of the Thames & in East London. You had to be really interested in what was there to go.

OTOH, it was in London... As opposed to...

#38: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:23 am
    ----
As an ex-member of the Royal Artillery I can tell you that Larkhill is the favoured choice of the majority of the Regiment. Woolwich was always the spiritual home because of the Military Academy there but if you want to carry out vehicle demonstrations and live firings, then Larkhill is the only real possibility. 99% of the regiment never wanted the museum at Woolwich in the first place and it was only the personal crusade of General Martin Farndale that led to it being located there.

The other reason for Larkhill is that it is 5 minutes from the most visited tourist site in the UK - Stonehenge. Millions of people visit that each year and there is very little else in the neighbourhood. If Larkhill can attract just a fraction of those visitors by offering fire power demos and a really exciting museum it will easily attract more visitors than the Woolwich location. It's also worth remembering that the Tank Museum at Bovington is hardly in the centre of the world and there are several other excellent military museums within a reasonable reach such as the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop and the Fleet Air Arm museum a little further away.

Personally, I think the museum will now be exactly where it should be!

#39: Re: Woolwich. Firepower Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:10 pm
    ----
Good points!

-> AFV News Discussion Board