Muskegon MI M48 moved
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Muskegon MI M48 moved Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 pm
    ----
I was in Muskegon MI today and noticed that the M48A1 that used to sit at VFW post 446 on Getty st has been moved now that the hall has closed. The tank now sits across the street at the L3 combat propulsion factory. This is the former Continental Motors plant, they have a few random armored vehicles in their back lot. A few years ago I stopped by this VFW Hall to take some pictures of this particular M48. One of the hall members told me the tank originally came from the Continental plant across the street. When they hall closed, they must have returned the tank back to the plant. Unfortunately, the tank is no longer accessable to the public.

#2: Re: Muskegon MI M48 moved Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09 am
    ----
Walter, Sorry to see they moved this vehicle out of public view. If anyone needs M48A1 photos, the local tank in Oak Orchard, DE VFW is still there and I have or can get photos of it. Rick

I'm not a big fan of L3. They last bought (5 buyers in the 15 Years I was in Defense industry) the Lancaster, PA Bulova Technology plant where I worked and moved it to Ohio.

#3: Re: Muskegon MI M48 moved Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:40 pm
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
Walter, Sorry to see they moved this vehicle out of public view. If anyone needs M48A1 photos, the local tank in Oak Orchard, DE VFW is still there and I have or can get photos of it. Rick

I'm not a big fan of L3. They last bought (5 buyers in the 15 Years I was in Defense industry) the Lancaster, PA Bulova Technology plant where I worked and moved it to Ohio.

Based on my conversations with my father, the more tramatic event for the Muskegon plant was when it was purchased by General Dynamics in the mid-90's. GD pretty much stripped out anything that had to do with Continental Motors and tossed it out, then sold the plant ten years later to L-3.

#4: Re: Muskegon MI M48 moved Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:35 am
    ----
General Dynamics and L3 both took advantage of the Defense cut backs in the 90s, buying or merging with smaller contractors. If we ever need a large amount of equipment (like in WW 2) again, the factories are long gone. Rick

-> AFV News Discussion Board