JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:53 pm
    ----
Hi All,

While in Tokyo, I made a trip to the JGSDF Information Center in Nerima City to see the collection of modern hardware on display.

Gallery Link:

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...n/n-HXcfFC

#2: Re: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:15 am
    ----
Very unusual vehicles for most of us. Thanks for sharing

#3: Re: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:57 am
    ----
Yes, thanks! Especially the Type 74.

#4: Re: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 am
    ----
What is the smaller of the two artillery pieces? Looks a bit like an Abbot but clearly something different.

#5: Re: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:07 pm
    ----
- TimRoyall
What is the smaller of the two artillery pieces? Looks a bit like an Abbot but clearly something different.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...d_howitzer

#6: Re: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:21 am
    ----
Thanks, I'd never heard of this before. Seeing when it was built, it really does seem to be a close copy of the Abbot. I wonder if the Japanese were given access to the project.

#7: Re: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm
    ----
- TimRoyall
Thanks, I'd never heard of this before. Seeing when it was built, it really does seem to be a close copy of the Abbot. I wonder if the Japanese were given access to the project.

That's not necessarily the case. The Japanese along the years build plenty of AFVs that were "conceptually" based on design from other countries. So their Type 61 may look like an M47, the Type 74 like a Leopard 1, the Type 90 like a Leopard 2 and their anti-aircraft SPG looks like a stepson of a Gepard Laughing

I could say the same about the Swiss Pz 68 and the Leopard 1 or the Italian Ariete and Leopard 2 or Palmaria and AS90.

The concept is the same, even some components can be same or similar, yet you don't need access to the project to do that.

The most interesting/innovative design is, to my eyes, Type 10. They managed to reduce weight to comply with very specific requirements:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...sportation

#8: Re: JGSDF Information Center Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:56 am
    ----
When I saw the Japanese Type 61 at Camp Tsuchiura I thought it was a weird M-18 or M-36 or M-41 and realized I'd never seen this type before. Interesting stuff - now I'm looking into post-war Japanese tank development.

-> AFV News Discussion Board