RIP Dontos
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: RIP Dontos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 am
    ----
Sad news to pass on

m.facebook.com/story.p...5&sfnsn=mo

Don was one of the most active members if this group - going back to the old website/forum- and of course the Patton Museum of Armor and Cavalry volunteer team. He will be dearly missed.

#2: Re: RIP Dontos Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:15 pm
    ----
I'm very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends.

Scott

#3: Re: RIP Dontos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:22 pm
    ----
Deeply saddened at this unexpected loss.Expected he would outlive most of us so this is most inexplicable. Sad

#4: Re: RIP Dontos Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:29 am
    ----
Sad

#5: Re: RIP Dontos Author: Andrei PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:22 pm
    ----
Great loss, so many good people died recently ((((

#6: Re: RIP Dontos Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:12 am
    ----
Here is the link to his obituary: www.nebfh.com/obituari...ituaryInfo

#7: Re: RIP Dontos Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:27 am
    ----
My condolences to his family and friends, May he rest in peace.

#8: Re: RIP Dontos Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:56 am
    ----
They will extend their condolences to all who knew him and who lack him.

#9: Re: RIP Dontos Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:49 pm
    ----
My condolences to the Family. Don will be missed.

#10: Re: RIP Dontos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:19 am
    ----
A great loss to the AFV community,

Don and I both served in the US Army as Tankers. Pretty much during the same time frame and although we never crossed paths during our active duty time, (20+ years) we shared many mutual friends in our profession. He was one of the true "Jedi-Knights" (19K), the term we used for those in the 80's who started on M1's while the rest of us (19E) still were on M60's. Was one of the first "Digital" Tankers at Hood and was involved with the early M1A2 systems. During his time in Germany he was a member of the CAT team fielded by 3rd Armored Division.

I got to know Don right here on this site (well, the original before the BOT's ruined it) back in 02/03 when I joined. We exchanged info, manuals, and other AFV info regularly. He also helped me gain access to the collection at Knox before it moved for which I am still grateful for. It also was the first time I got to meet him in person. Some of the last correspondence I had with him was in reference to the two M48A2's that sat at the old Fort Knox entrance.

A while back Doug Kibbey had made a comment about how when a person passes, it's like burning down a Library. Knowledge they know that is not recorded is now forever lost. The AFV community lost a very large library with his passing.

See you at the Green Don

#11: Re: RIP Dontos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:58 pm
    ----
I am deeply saddened to hear of Don's passing. I met him here on the forum and had the honor of getting a backstage Richardson tour from him back in 2010. I have many happy memories of him crawling under and climbing on AFVs and popping up through hatches like a little kid. He gave us a tour of Cobra King and educated me so much!

Condolences to his family and the AFV community for his passing.

-> AFV News Discussion Board