Nov 5th
-> Officer's Club

#1: Nov 5th Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:24 pm
    ----
ok here goes, its firework time in uk, for you guys not clued up heres a brief history lol..

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot,
We see no reason,
Why gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot

Bonfire Night is celebrated across the UK on 5 November. The date marks the failed attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament by Guy Fawkes1 along with a group of co-conspirators in London in 1605.

The intention was to kill King James I and wipe out everyone in government. The group were Catholic extremists who wanted to return England to the Catholic faith. One of the conspirators had a friend in the Houses of Parliament and sent a letter to him, warning him to stay away from the House on the day the attack was supposed to take place. The letter was intercepted and handed to the king.

Meanwhile, Guy Fawkes and friends, having formulated their plan, known as the 'Gunpowder Plot', had rolled 36 barrels of gunpowder into the cellars of the Houses of Parliament, and were waiting for the king to arrive when guards broke in and arrested them. They were tortured and executed.

ok now this is what i call holding a grudge lol, but mostly its all in fun nowdays,
Children make life-sized effigies of Guy Fawkes which are called Guys, to put onto the bonfires. The English have been burning effigies to mark Guy Fawkes' treason for almost 400 years. The tradition started in 1606, the year after the Gunpowder plot failed. In these first bonfires, called 'bone fires' at the time, it wasn't an effigy of Guy Fawkes that was burned, but one of the Pope. It was not until 1806, two centuries later, that the people started burning effigies of Guy Fawkes instead.

some areas take this to the extream as you can see from the vids in the following link.
www.tarbarrels.co.uk/ ....

most areas follow this tradition n i for one will be out there exploding as many fireworks as i can buy lol
www.edenbridgetown.com...ory1.shtml
So if your visiting the UK and wonder why ww3 broke out now you know...

#2: Re: Nov 5th Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:17 am
    ----
So if your visiting the UK and wonder why ww3 broke out now you know...

Here's the cynics view ...

The firework sellers make an absolute fortune from groups of kids who go around the streets for a month either side of said night setting off fireworks randomly and annoying the hell out of people. And lets not forget halloween a few nights before where this kids can knock on peoples doors and demand gifts and the throw fireworks at said doors if they don't get what they demand.

That said, the night itself is one that is always a good night when attending "organised" events or even just burning down your neighbours shed with a stray catherine wheel (you nail it to a plank and set it off and the idea is that it spins .. the reality is that it fly's off the nail and sets everything it touches alight including the big expensive box of fireworks that you'd only just wrestled from the sweaty little mitts of the local gang of youths in the firework shop/underage drink store).

I love the festivals we have in this country .. no really, i do

#3: Re: Nov 5th Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:19 am
    ----
LMAO Harry, did I detect a bit 'o sarcasm?...lol

#4: Re: Nov 5th Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:26 am
    ----
I luv Bonfire Night. When it's on November 5th. Any other night and it's Scare Animals Night. I'm near Thorpe Park in U.K. nearly two weeks in advance they hold it every demm night at professional display levels. Animals round here need psychotherapy through December and January.

and this has been in my window since last weekend too. Orignal plan was to borrow my nephew's "Supa-Soaka" as well but I forgot it. Demmit!

heheh

p.s. I shall be partaking on Bonfire Night itself, with a lot of friends, TNT, and beer (not fergetting the jacket spuds wrapped in tinfoil and saussies in the bonfire). Mr. Green

#5: Re: Nov 5th Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:54 am
    ----
did I detect a bit 'o sarcasm?

I'm a product of living in the suburbs of London for too many years .. sarcasm, being the lowest form of wit (and funniest) is my best defence.

But seriously, I think it's great that the younger kids are out with their parents tonight having fun and getting given things for nothing.

And I swear, if one more little **** knocks on my door and says "trick or treat mate" and then can't perform some wonderful feat of illusion (other than bombarding my door with eggs and flour) when I say trick, they're gonna get such a beating.

Shades, there's no copywrite on that image .. I'll be printing one off if thats ok with you

#6: Re: Nov 5th Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:37 pm
    ----
It's a freeware image for anyone (outside of the U.S.) to use.
As it's a U.S. celebration, they'll just have to change the constitution.
Laughing

#7: Re: Nov 5th Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:02 am
    ----
I've just come back from a week in London...

Fireworks...FIREWORKS... Don't mention firworks...six floors up in a hotel at Wembley and every single firwork seems to explode outside my window...Grrrrr.

Wears abit thin every night around about 2am.

LOL, yes, I'm old and grumpy, had a lot of years of practice...Just waiting for Christmas now and I'll be in my element.

BAH, Humbug.

Mr. Green Mr. Green

#8: Re: Nov 5th Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:52 pm
    ----
yes, I'm old and grumpy,

I am, on the other hand, neither. And yet the fireworks still annoy the hell outta me!
Oh and didn't you know that everytime a tourist goes to wembley the locals get to gether just to fire fireworks at them late at night.

I took my little sister to see some fireworks one year .. her little face lit up

then her eyebrows, then her hair.

-> Officer's Club