This should appeal to Hoppa...
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: This should appeal to Hoppa... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:35 pm
    ----
..a site under development at "Anomaly Airways" for a special client is Tipella, BC in Canada, airport CBB7. In real life, it is the home of a major logging operation...including helicopter logging... Laughing

#2: Re: This should appeal to Hoppa... Author: JG300-HoppaLocation: vernon BC PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:10 am
    ----
I'll look into this a bit more,,,,,but my first initial thought is this would be on Vancouver island or at least the west coast where the big wood is,,,,,, big ol' 10 foot cedar and massive fir,,,,in the interior of B.C. we mainly used the huey for heli-logging operations,,,,,,,out on the coast they use the aircrane, I see now the chinook too,,,,and also a large company called VIH,,(vancouver island helicopters),,,has 2 russian kamov's for logging ops....(first russian choppers on the continent).....but myself I only ever really worked under the huey's,,,,,although have been present for an aircrane operation but it was a different crew assigned to that show..we did there clean-up ..I also was able to see a K-max once too.....but I only heli-logged for 2 years so am quite limited....I have heard the name "HELIFOR" before but that is about the extent of it,,,never seen there operation or helo's.......thanks for posting that pic,,,your right,,,,I am interested for sure,,,,

I really dont have a lot of good heli-logging pics to show,,,,,never really had that much time to pull out the camera,,,,,let alone pack one around with me without it getting broken,,,all the ones I do have including these 2 were all on a 35mm pile of junk and I would have to explain what was happening in the picture,,,plus my best roll of film taken was burnt cause I was a camewra dork and opened it without rewinding,,,,,doh,,,,,well here is two anyways,,,,,,the only action shot is looking strait up at him,,,,had to crop cause the sides were also burnt,,,lol,,,,,,this was with Northern mountain helicopters,,,I also worked with Midwest helicopters too

#3: Re: This should appeal to Hoppa... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:35 pm
    ----
Holy DANG...I think those are both awesome pictures!

#4: Re: This should appeal to Hoppa... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:47 pm
    ----
HeHe...that shot from beneath the Huey looks REAL familiar to the old Ascout....of course, we always used two ropes for the rappel. Wink

#5: Re: This should appeal to Hoppa... Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:10 pm
    ----
Wow,some great pics,thanks for posting

#6: Re: This should appeal to Hoppa... Author: JG300-HoppaLocation: vernon BC PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:26 pm
    ----
oh man,,,,,,,very cool Ascout,,,,,,,,well I was never as lucky to have repelled from the chopper,,,,they made us jump out,,,,,,when scooting us up the hill in the morning they would get in as close and low as possible in the most suitable spot and we had to very slowly and carefully step out onto the runner and gracefully fall to the ground as sometimes the hillside was so steep the blades would be whithin a meter of a stump,,,,,so we couldnt jolt the helo at all. When picking us up at the end of the day,,,,,there were usually 4 of us on the hill,,,,they would come down,,,,one person would hook his arm around the runner,,,then they abruptly would accend about 15 feet as safety regulation so a second guy would not also try to get in...it sucked for the first guy cause you had no help pulling yourself up......my highest jump was about 12 feet onto a large cedar stump,,,,my ankles burned after that but it was better than hiking a half mile up the hill.....

I cant help but notice the nice green service landing that chinook is sitting in,,,,,looks a little warmer than this one eh,,,,,,this winter pic was up in Northern B.C. and I tell ya,,,,for about a month is average -30 to -40 celsius weather,,,add a bunch more for wind chill to that from rotor wash made it about -60 to-70,,,,but your working so hard you dont generally notice much.

the other pic was actually myself but I'm camera shy for the most part so had my back turned,,,hehe,,,,,you can see the helo coming in with a lone tree,,,,,,our bingo weight was 3500 pounds, any less than 3200 then the pilots got choked at ya,,,,,any more than 4000 they give you a dummy-up warning,,,,,,,,best I ever saw was a guy bring down 5100 and abort it 50 feet above the landing,,,,,,,you never saw a chaserman run so fast lemmee tell ya.....the best helo pilot I ever met was younger than myself,,,I think he was around 22 at the time,,,he was a military pilot and in his off time he would go logging,,,,,,the guy was nuts,,,,,but man could he produce,,,,,I seen him do stuff not too many others even attempted,,,,,

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum