WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance!
-> Hardware

#1: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:23 pm
    ----
Putting TWO?? Vid cards together?? One word ...WOW!!!!

[quote]Thanks to the PCI Express (PCIe) interface, combining two graphics cards in an SLI configuration is easily achieved. Just plug two identical GeForce 6 or GeForce 7 cards into the motherboard, and connect them with the SLI bridge connector. The two cards will then split the 3D rendering load between them, which can result in a performance improvement of up to 70 percent in everyday life. Now that PCI Express motherboards are available with PCIe x32 - or, more correctly, two x16 slots - there are also some new and intriguing possibilities.

A must read story! For the whole story, Click HERE!

#2: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:48 pm
    ----
Bush, I had a new rig made last summer and I have been thinking about adding the 2nd pci video card (6600 GT - 128mb)... Mobo is an Asus kln8x pci deluxe (I think LOL) with an athlon 4000... So, the game doesnt matter? I will see better graphics? (performance isnt an issue yet). and hows about COD2? can you say EXCELLENT?!?!?!... and while I am trying to burn up the caffiene from that last mug of espresso... have you ever heard anything of a free game from www.navyfield.com? My girlfriends son ran it a couple hours yesterday and he said pretty good graphics a it is very 'strategic'...
did I mention free (its on online multiplayer too)

Happy New Year Bro!!!
slow

#3: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:58 am
    ----
Hey SlowHand.....long time no see bud!!! how the heck are ya?

#4: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:15 pm
    ----
Good Hit, working my arse off (well not really still too much!), I am trying to find time to hook up with you all soon!

How about it - its only a 128 mb vid card - would I gain anything buying a second vid card for my PCI-Express Mobo?

#5: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:31 pm
    ----
I've read somewhere that two 'lesser' cards won't perform as well as one 'better' card...lol

I believe that two 6600/128meg card in sli mode won't out perform say one 7800 256 card. Price wise it would be about even in money.

Just my personal opinion and I may be wrong but that's the impression I get after looking into SLI and wondering if I should bother when I upgrade.

#6: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:40 pm
    ----
- Kitform
I've read somewhere that two 'lesser' cards won't perform as well as one 'better' card...lol

I believe that two 6600/128meg card in sli mode won't out perform say one 7800 256 card. Price wise it would be about even in money.

Just my personal opinion and I may be wrong but that's the impression I get after looking into SLI and wondering if I should bother when I upgrade.

Yes Kit you are correct to a point, 2 6600's won't out perform a single 7800 Ultra GTX but at the same time the 7800 is more $ than 2 6600's...I am running dual 7800's and can honestly say that 2 are better than one in this case. As for Slowhand's question, I would go for the 2nd card as in SLI with 2 cards, each card will handle half the processing power which in the end has to improve fps and overall performance by atleast a noticeable amount.

Just my 2 cents

#7: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:54 pm
    ----
Hiya Slow!

Would you notice a difference? Well, I really doubt you would notice any improvements in gaming. If the games you play now stay at an acceptable frame level with no noticable visual problems, I doubt adding a second card would help.

I think the biggest improvement would be if you,

a) Needed more real estate (screen space).

For example, if you do a lot of open graphic or file work. Having more space means more you can do more work. Think of it as adding a second desk to your office. Wink

b) You needed extra views in a game.

You can add on a second monitor and have different views running on the second monitor. For example in FS9, you could have side views or chase plane views open or maybe the pass side (Co-pilot) view open.

c) It's cool!

Let's face it, having two monitors and two vid cards is cool! Does the cost justify the 'cool'? Maybe, depends on your outlook...:D

Now before you buy another card, keep in mind some cards have two monitor outputs built into the card for running 2 monitors and most have some kind of TV output now and can output to a large screen TV. Gaming on a large screen takes on a whole new meaning...:wink:

And yep, I watch movies on my puter too...out put to TV and some puters, (not mine....yet) have a TV tuner card that's cable ready...Think of the possibilities .... (Voice of Homer Simpson) MMmmmmmm......tvvvvvv....:D

If you decide to do it Slow, take pics and whip up a "How To" type review/tutorial for the rest that may want to try adding in second vid card...

Some additional links for you to read before you decide...

CNET

FREEPCTECH

#8: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:03 pm
    ----
Basking in renewed friednship... I love you Man!!!
LOL

I wonder if O Saint Nic has stowed away all his gear yet... I wonder if he still has time for one more run for a VERY good boy in Michigan? LOL

Let met see what deals I can find...

Also, some of the HF boys have been messin with Battlefield 2 demo and liking it - I have been working at my COD2 campiagns and looking to try www.navyfield.com - a FREE online multiplayer strategic game my girlfriends son says has good eyecandy but I dont think it is a first person shooter...

My best you all (Homer says Mmmmmmmmm CC brooooos)

#9: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:12 pm
    ----
Yep, I really like the First Person Shooters as compared to the RPG games, but, it really boils down to personal preference...

I have CoD2 and haven't taken it online yet. Been too busy with other projects but I'm heading in that direction soon...lol

BF2 is generally viewed around here as a PAY TO PLAY game and that type of game has a hard time gaining popularity at CC. (Bush likes FREE)...lol Still, the game is quite popular on the net and has a great following!

#10: Re: WOW... Linking 2 Vid cards for performance! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:08 pm
    ----
thanks Bush, I have a lot to learn - I was mistaken too - HF is playing Battlefield 1942 for some laffs aside from FB and COD2 - not BF2
(D'oh!)...

-> Hardware