Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?"
-> Officer's Club

#1: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:45 am
    ----
Just too weird..a "twilight zone" moment. I was surfin' the web, "Googling" for images related to old units of mine...and I hit on the home page of the 2/17th Cavalry, 101 Abn. Div. Then...I looked at the Cav hat image on the splash page....and it's mine! I don't mean one like mine...mine! The image is flipped, so "Vietnam" is backwards...but it is unmistakeably a mirror image of my hat (which is sitting here in front of me about 3' away).

Heck, if I'd a' knowed they wanted a 2/17 Nam era hat pic so bad...I'd have dusted it off! Laughing What a hoot. They're in Iraq right now, but maybe I'll call anyway and offer a better pic...'course, considering where they are...maybe they WANT it dusty!

Check this link:
www.campbell.army.mil/...sp?uid=149

I'm sure they got it here (about halfway down page on the left)
www.vhpamuseum.org/uni...orms.shtml
and my comparo by "flipping" images:

" The 17th Cavalry Regiment was organized at Fort Bliss, Texas, on 1 July 1916. During World War I, the Regiment served on the Mexican Border. In 1918, it was combined with two other cavalry regiments, the 1st and the 15th, to form the 3rd Cavalry Brigade. The unit planned to join the A.E.F. in France; however, the Armistice was signed before the Brigade could be deployed. The original regiment was inactivated at the Presidio of Monterey, California, in September 1921.

In 1943, the Regiment became part of Headquarters, 17th Armored Group at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The 17th Armored Group landed in France on 5 August 1944, and fought its way through Northern France, the Ardennes, and the Rhineland into central Europe. Following V.E. Day, the 17th Armored Group moved to Ghent, Belgium, where it was inactivated on 30 April 1946.

Another ancestor of the Squadron, the 57th Cavalry Recon (Mech) Troop was activated at Fort McIntosh, Texas, on 12 May 1944. This Troop spent most of its life on the inactive rolls of the Army and underwent its final inactivation at Fort Knox, Kentucky, on 2 June 1948. On 10 August 1950, it was redesignated as the 101st Airborne Reconnaissance Company and was activated two weeks later at Camp Breckenridge, Kentucky. On 25 April 1957, the unit was redesignated Troop B (Reconnaissance) (Airborne), 17th Cavalry, and continued as such until 1964. On 3 February 1964, the unit was consolidated with elements of the command and control battalion of the 101st Airborne to form the 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry.

In July 1965, A Troop, along with supporting personnel from Headquarters Troop, departed Fort Campbell as part of the 1st Brigade Task Force, 101st Airborne Division, for the Republic of Vietnam. In December 1967, the remainder of the Squadron deployed to Vietnam, and operated for four years in South Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos."

"The 2nd Squadron 17th Cavalry Regiment is an Air Cavalry unit dedicated to air reconnaissance in support of the 101st Airborne Division Infantry soldiers. Currently deployed in support of OIF 5, the "Out Front" Air CAV flies 24 hour missions in support of the referendum to the Iraqi Constitution. Comprised of three Flight Troops and three support Troops, the 2-17 CAV is a well trained, disciplined, dedicated fighting machine. With the battle hardened OH-58D(R) Kiowa Warrior by their side, the pilots of 2-17 CAV can not go wrong. The squadron is currently commanded by LTC Vogler and CSM Ortiz."

#2: Re: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:34 am
    ----
How COOL is that? Great post Ascout!!

#3: Re: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:33 pm
    ----
Yep....I'm gonna' give the Army a good talkin' to....when they gets home! Laughing

(I'm a nobody....but my hat is famous! Rolling Eyes )

#4: Re: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:48 pm
    ----
That's simply amazing! Your chapeau is now a historic icon! Frikkin' righteous!

#5: Re: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:20 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Your chapeau is now a historic icon!

WHAT....you found my underwear on the internet somewhere too?!

#6: Re: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:59 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

Oh heck yeah....millions have seen it by now too, you didn't know about this? http://www.triumph.com .....ya gotta go to the SEA counties on the map......somewhere around Hue.....

#7: Re: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:42 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- JG300-Ascout

Oh heck yeah....millions have seen it by now too, you didn't know about this? http://www.triumph.com .....ya gotta go to the SEA counties on the map......somewhere around Hue.....

I saw this coming as soon as I pressed "submit". Never one to deny a straight line to a consumate comedian, I didn't edit... Wink

DEFINITELY my "style", but only on my partner! (and she actually looks good in that stuff, too!

#8: Re: Small dang world, or..."What's in a hat?" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:38 pm
    ----
That was very magnanimous of you (hey I learnt a new word!) and....well I'll take your word for it!!!

-> Officer's Club