Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor
-> Hardware

#1: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Kafco PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:29 pm
    ----
~S~ All,

I was running a 19" TFT monitor in my sim-pit but wanted something much bigger. Looked at bigger monitors and projectors but took a different route:

32" LCD TV by Westinghouse [LTV-32w1] that is built to run as a monitor. It has VGA (RGB) and DVI (HDCP) at 1360 X 768 and audio input from ones computer.

I'm driving it with an ATI 256mb video card that has both VGA and DVI outputs. I use the DVI and think the picture quality is better than when driven by VGA (marginally).

Side benifit (?) is ability to watch tv if one chooses (why?). Now I really get the BIG picture (pun intended).

Regards,
Ken

#2: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Hangman PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:40 pm
    ----
You know I've looked at a sweet little 26" with the same capabilities and wondered how well it would work...I can pick one up for like $700.00 bucks but I wasn't sure about the jaggies...wish I could see how a game looked on it..with the resolution at 1360x768 how is the anti-aliasing???

#3: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Kafco PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:50 pm
    ----
Hangman,

The pic is as good as I had on the 19" LiquidVideo TFT VGA at 1024 X 768 on the same computer and that's all I know to compare it with. My machine is a homebrew P4 2.3Ghz, 1.5Gb ram, 256Mb video and 120Gb hdd all made from parts from Tiger Direct. Nothing special.

There was a 27" for $777 and the 32" for $999 of the same brand. I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't spring for the larger one. Compare that price to a 21" LCD monitor.......no contest. Then if one likes tv it's a bonus feature.

I'm pleased with the setup. Need some changes to the sim-pit for a more attractive fit but I intended doing that anyway.

Regards,
Ken

#4: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:40 am
    ----
How big you want it?

#5: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: sweets PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:37 pm
    ----
Big is good I like big! or you mean something else sorry got little excited

#6: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:12 pm
    ----
Don't say that to me, after you already told me you're French as well!!!
Wink

lol

#7: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Kafco PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:44 pm
    ----
~S~All,

This is the 32" monitor and my remodelled sim panel. The panel has 64 commands, the CH Throttle Pro has push to talk and 10 commands (using the electronics from a Nostromo N50) which I use for views and the CH Flightstick Pro has 6 commands plus 3 trim axis. The lower left side of the panel has the audio controls. I use a mini keyboard to one side for any text needed for multiplayer setup.

Regards,
Ken

#8: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:58 pm
    ----
Great setup Kafco, does all the switches and buttons work too?

I can see my wife now....

"Would you PLEASE get out of there and come to dinner!"

#9: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Kafco PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:25 pm
    ----
Bush,

All of the buttons have command functions.

The lower left is audio; volumn control, ptt jack and speaker/headphone switch.

Upper left is flaps, spoiler and wing fold.

Left MFD is MS sim commands only.

Center panel is mixed use MS, IL2 and others. Includes; Alt, Esc, Pause, Print Screen and Help to avoid using a keyboard whenever possible.

Right MFD is IL2 commands only.

Upper right is landing gear, tail hook and tailwheel lock.

I'm running several different sims with some unique functions so the center panel is handy with 21 command functions.

The panel has internal backlighting for night flights.

The heart of the panel is a printed circuit board from an old keyboard interfaced to the switches. Nothing exotic about that. The switch panels are from an old junked-out sim panel I bought on auction, along with all the controls, for $100US.

It simplifies flying complex aircraft.

Regards,
Ken

#10: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 pm
    ----
Very cool Kafco! Any chance you took pics along the way? Wink

#11: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Kafco PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:28 pm
    ----
Bush,

No pics of this version. Susie did take a couple of shots of the previous version as I was building it. I'd be glad to share them with you if you would like.

Regards,
Ken

#12: Re: Inexpensive Big Screen Monitor Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:49 pm
    ----
That would be great! I can't say for anyone else, but homebuilt control centers are interesting... Wink

-> Hardware