Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: Allen PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:16 pm
    ----

I never bought it but im guessing the picture was more fun
than the actual product. Smile

#2: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for any Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:23 pm
    ----
Oh, yeah! That genre of ad graced the inside covers of many an issue of "G.I. Combat" as immortilized in numerous threads on the old forum for "The Haunted Tank".
The pictures of the product (and the "footlocker" they often came in) were usually much more impressive than when they found their way to your mailbox.

I was more of an MPC slothand/ringhand toy soldier kind-of-kid myself....

#3: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: sweets PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:35 pm
    ----
sorry think its to old for me Wink

#4: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:48 pm
    ----
many memories, the ad was indeed better than the item(weren't they all)

Jeff Lewis

#5: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:59 pm
    ----
Holy Greenie Stick'em Caps, Batman! How about 'M*A*R*S Patrol', the four dudes that took on the nameless army trying to take over the world. Still have the first 4 issues tucked away somewhere. Ahh halcion days...
Cheers, Dave

#6: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:00 pm
    ----
I remember it, but never had enough money to send off for it.

That or the Submarine...

I did have my 'Green Army Men' to beat back the enemy hoard, though!!

GI Combat (Haunted Tank), Weird War, Sgt Fury, Sgt Rock, and The Unknown Soldier all kept my attention off of the realities of being raised in a US Army family in the 60's & 70's.

(If I only had all those comics now...!!!)

#7: Speaking of comic book ads..... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:25 pm
    ----
Anybody remember this one?

#8: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for any Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:39 pm
    ----
(Moved over here because it's the same topic)

I never actually saw that real item, but at that price (even in 1962 dollars) I had sense enough to realize it couldn't even measure up to the "footlocker of soldiers".

Did anyone here ever actually get one of these? How chintzy was it?

#9: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:59 pm
    ----
A 75mm & co-ax mg for $4.98??? Guess that's why they brought in the "Truth in Adverising" laws. Mind you, you could get a nice Mannlicher-Carcano for $29.98 (+ postage of course) and it was the real thing! Mom wouldn't let me order that either....
Cheers, Dave

#10: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:02 pm
    ----
- Dave_Block
A 75mm & co-ax mg for $4.98??? Guess that's why they brought in the "Truth in Adverising" laws. Mind you, you could get a nice Mannlicher-Carcano for $29.98 (+ postage of course) and it was the real thing! Mom wouldn't let me order that either....
Cheers, Dave

Dave, forgive her....she was just worried that you'd run into some other kid with deeper pockets...

#11: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:23 pm
    ----
Like the bad guy in Robocop said, "I LIKE it!" Could really reach out and touch a moose with that one!!!
Thanks for the memories, Dave Smile

#12: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for anyone? Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:31 pm
    ----
You could get a Finnish Lahti 20mm AT rifle with ammo for only $99 back then. What a bargain!!!

David

#13: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for any Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:04 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
(Moved over here because it's the same topic)

I never actually saw that real item, but at that price (even in 1962 dollars) I had sense enough to realize it couldn't even measure up to the "footlocker of soldiers".

Did anyone here ever actually get one of these? How chintzy was it?

Very chintzy. A neighbour down the street from me had one. It was all cardboard. And, strangely enough, didn't look much like the picture in the ad.

(Not sure, but the cardboard tube barrel might actually have been 75mm diameter. Soooo.....truth in advertising?)

#14: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for any Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:45 pm
    ----
Hi Guys, what I hated was the "Roman Army" men advertised in comics. I recall waiting for these with much anticipation, only to find that they were "flats". GRRRRH! So disgusted I threw them away and vowed never to buy anything else from a comic ad! Mad

Best,
David

#15: Re: Does this comic book ad bring back fond memories for any Author: Karl PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:02 pm
    ----
Boy does all this bring back memories.

Luckily I too had wise parents and was kept from making those mistakes.

I sure wish I had all those comics too. I could probably afford this unintentional retirement then.

Karl.

-> AFV News Discussion Board