Abrams engines!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Abrams engines! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:16 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I just read an AP news story that says the Army has contracted Honeywell to "provide improvements, engineering support and logistics for the turbine engine used in the Abrams tank."

Sounds like the Army has finally started doing something about the luming shortage of engines for the Abrams fleet.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

#2: Re: Abrams engines! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:21 pm
    ----
Roy

I'll bet it has to do with the 'wear-&-tear' of extended operations.

I'll bet the 'miles & hours' of deployed vehicles have gone thru the roof.

Just my opinion though,

#3: Re: Abrams engines! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:41 pm
    ----
- Tumbleweed

I have a question if there are any AGT-1500 experts out there. What exactly does the recouperator (sp) do?

Ah...the recouperator,....ah, I know what it is, I know what it looks like, but ....ah,...

I believe it has to do with heat disipation.

Don

#4: Re: Abrams engines! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:27 am
    ----
Hi TW! Hi Folks!

"So who makes that engine now?"

I think that is the problem. NOBODY does. The way the story read to me, it sounds like the contract is to fix and upgrade the current engines. Not to build any new ones.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Abrams engines! Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 pm
    ----
Roy,

Honeywell is the OEM now, the contract is a parts support contract, with some component upgrades planned, the goal is to make the engines last more hours between failures.

#6: Re: Abrams engines! Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:05 am
    ----
yes, they will.

-> AFV News Discussion Board