Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video...
-> Software

#1: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:50 pm
    ----
I found this video today and while it's by no means all that professional, it's fun to watch as the two hosts are having fun doing the video. Still, the basic info is there for those that want to peek into how dual booting is done.

Now, what they didn't tell you in the video is you have to install Windows first. Windows boot loader doesn't 'see' other OS' and this is by design not that MS couldn't have done it..lol At any rate, install XP first, then any Linux flavor you want and the GRUB boot loader will 'see' the Window install and offer up the option to boot into the OS of your choice... Wink

Here is the link: Click HERE!!

#2: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Hangman PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:43 am
    ----
I have a question, I know you use Linux right? so what is the advantage of it? I know absolutely nothing about Linux,...why would I want to install/run it on my pc?

#3: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:24 am
    ----
Hiya Hangy...:D

I don't use Linux for everything, but for most things it works fine. The main advantages?

Windows virus' and hack files don't have any effect on the Linux file system.

You can install a program, update the OS or add drivers without the "You must reboot before you can use this" messages.

Security. While XP and above are more secure than their predecessors, breaking the passwords to get in is easy compared to Linux. I'm not saying you can't get into Linux boxes, you can, but if you log off your system or shut down the box, it's very hard to get back in without a pw.

The main disadvantages to Linux is printer support and the games out that will work native in the OS. Let's face it, you need a printer and at CC, we're all gamers...lol

Another thing I've noticed is every Linux OS is different. While they all work in similar ways, the subtle differences are what makes your life easy or hard. For instance in the Xandros version, they have a File Manager that's the best I've seen on any system including MAC or Windows and the Media player works great and plays WMF, AVI, Xvid..etc.

Some of the others flavors I've tried is Ubuntu, which I like too although it's my second choice at this point in time. Other OS' like Red Hat and Mandrake are all good in their own right, but they lack a good software install routine. They use one called RPM (RedHat package manager). While it works well, it doesn't check on other files to make the new software work called 'dependencies'. In Windows, they're called .DLL files.

I like any Linux flavor based on the Debian Linux OS. They use a package manager called 'Apt-get'. Apt-get checks the file for dependency issues and installs all the files needed in one shot. Nice indeed and there are GUI versions too for those that don't like command line use. Ubuntu and Kbuntu both have a really good GUI for that as well as many of the more popular Debian based flavors out.

Why would you want to run it? Curiosity for one. Security for two and in case Windows gets hosed, you can go in through your Linux system and get your files for three.

While it's not as user friendly as Windows, it has it's advantages and surfing the net without fear of 'programs' getting installled on your machine and getting virus free Email is are both good things... Wink

#4: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:53 pm
    ----
hmm..interesting, I especially like the idea of still accessing your files if windows gets hosed by a virus, that alone would seem to be worth it...thanks for details.

#5: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:39 am
    ----
LMAO!!!
That's worth watching just for the classic, out-of-the-box, pigeon-hole, nerdiness of the two guys on screen.
I wanna know if EITHER... has ever kissed a girl.
lololol

#6: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:48 am
    ----
LOL Shades...yep, those two are having fun for sure... lol

#7: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:37 am
    ----
I bet Bushy's just like that...LOL

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#8: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:06 pm
    ----
Am too....I mean...am not....lol

#9: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:35 pm
    ----
- EURO_Shades
LMAO!!!
That's worth watching just for the classic, out-of-the-box, pigeon-hole, nerdiness of the two guys on screen.
I wanna know if EITHER... has ever kissed a girl.
lololol

No, but I bet they've kissed, caressed and otherwise fondled their fair share of monitors!

I started to watch it but the theme music said it all......just couldn't stomach any more.........and Linux is OK in my book (been using "other" UNIX-like OS's for many years OTJ).

#10: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:46 pm
    ----
- Hangman
hmm..interesting, I especially like the idea of still accessing your files if windows gets hosed by a virus, that alone would seem to be worth it...thanks for details.

A possability with the [ Knoppix version of ] Linux is to run this operating system from your DVD drive without installing to the hard-drive.

www.knoppix.org/

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#11: Re: Dual Boot Xp and Linux Video... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:01 am
    ----
Yep Adrian, there seems to be a demand for almost all the different Linux flavors to do a "live" cd/dvd. I have to admit, that does make it really easy to check out that particular version of Linux before you install it... Wink

-> Software