Test photo posting (M103)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Test photo posting (M103) Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:10 pm
    ----
ok - first post since moving over here. Let's see if we can do this....

This is the M103 from Fort Hood - looking at the Accurate Armour website - I didn't see the M103A2 kit listed on their future products - hope that doesn't mean it won't happen!

cn

#2: Re: Test photo posting (M103) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:57 pm
    ----
Ah, the 4th ID museum, beside 4th ID HQ's. I was in 4th ID from 1998-2001 in 3/66th Armor, mortar platoon. I will be returning to Hood this May-JUne but this time as a 88N (Transportation Management Coordinator) instead of an 11C. While there I will be asking the museum if they would like me to volunteer. I plan on taking lots of pictures and posting them here, as well as researching numerous vehicles. Can't wait to get back to Hood and out of Irwin.

#3: Re: Test photo posting (M103) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:28 pm
    ----
Jeff

All of the 'older' vehicles there (4th ID area) are remnants of the old 2nd Armored Division Museum.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the ole' "HELL ON WHEELS".

'We' share some history....

I was an ROTC Cadet attached w/ 2nd Plt, B Co, 2/67 Armor- Aug 1982 when the Battalion was THE FIRST M-1 Abrams Battalion in the Army.

The 3/66 Bn area, was formally occupied by 2/67 Armor.

#4: Memories of Ft. Hood Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:34 am
    ----
When I was a young un', my Dad was the XO of 1/66 Armor (early 70's). I hadn't thought about that in years, until I saw you guys mention 3/66. As I recall, the two battalions were right next to each other, and no one could ever explain to my enquiring young mind why there was no 2/66 in between...(of course, it might have been around there all along!)

There used to be old Shermans scattered all over post, outside every battalion and brigade HQ. I'm guessing that those buildings are pretty much gone, since many of them were leftover WWII buildings.

C

#5: Re: Test photo posting (M103) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:48 am
    ----
I remember being on the 4th ID HQ flag detail next to the museum back when I was an E-5. There was this load roar and black smoke coming from the museum area. I looked over and one of the old tanks was actually started and moving. I don't know if they still operate them or kepp them in running shape but I was surprised to see that. That would have been around mid 1998, just before the museum under went a modernization. 1st Cav always had a nice museum. Now that I'm more aware of what I'm looking at and for, I will have a new found appriciation for the armor on display. I remember the ADA unit in 4th ID had an old M42 Duster on display.

-> AFV News Discussion Board