OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:35 am
    ----
[img][/img]
This old Chevy Blazer CUCV is now part of the fleet of OPFOR "terrorist" vehicles used for raids, ambushes, etc... of visiting BLUFOR forces. About 2-3 yeras ago, the post sprang for lift kits, tires/rims, winches in reinforced bumpers, roofracks, and more, just to build these up. Each one is a different color, blue, orange, green, yellow, whatever. You'll notice the MILES laser detectors mounted as well as a "whoopie" light for hits taken. Most of these run like crap though. Many are now used to keep others running. Now much of the fleet has become old cars, trucks, vans, old ambulances, etc from the government fleet vehicles or abandoned vehicle left on the post. Adds to the realism of the "towns" out in the training area. Helps BLUFOR soldier learn vehicle searches and keeps them on their toes when one pulls up to one of their check points.

#2: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:55 pm
    ----
Jeff...piccie no worky....

Would you be referring to these?

#3: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: SnwMan0Location: Mn,USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:43 pm
    ----
Inbetween your tag's your need to post the link to your pic. eg : [img]directweblinkhere[/img] ... Hope this help's .

On a side note , Im and older member of CC and have stumbled upon your section here ... Im really enjoying the pic's and info of these AFV and look forward to more . gj !

#4: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:56 am
    ----
The picture is showing on my forum here. That black blazer might just be the same one I posted. The whole concept was a huge waste of money. The mechanics that installed the items had a field day, acted like they were working on their own trucks. They threw more money at those trucks, than what the truck itself was worth. Big lift, big tires, but they weren't re-geared so they seriously dogged down in the sand and rough terrain, esspecially when loaded with four OPFOR soldiers, their gear, grills, coolers, cots, charcoal, etc...

#5: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:18 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
The picture is showing on my forum here. That black blazer might just be the same one I posted. The whole concept was a huge waste of money. The mechanics that installed the items had a field day, acted like they were working on their own trucks. They threw more money at those trucks, than what the truck itself was worth. Big lift, big tires, but they weren't re-geared so they seriously dogged down in the sand and rough terrain, esspecially when loaded with four OPFOR soldiers, their gear, grills, coolers, cots, charcoal, etc...

Weird...I can't view yours even when I cut and paste the "properties" into my URL...I get the Photobucket "error" message. Might you have it switched to "not public view" in your photobucket account? That would let you view it, but not others.

#6: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:34 am
    ----
It was the weirdest thing, I was just showing the wife and boys the difference between my post and yours. When I posted the response that said I could see both, and hit submit, my picture disappeared. I still cant see it. I can't re-post it but it was identical to yours but dirty with slightly smaller tires, no fiberglass back, and no lights on the top rack, but I'd bet it was the same truck.

#7: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:56 am
    ----
[img][/img]
Here is some of the terrorist fleet in front of their OP's center. The vehicles are as run down as the building. I stayed in these building in 1985 as a member of the Ohio National Guard when we came here to augment the OPFOR for a rotation.

#8: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:02 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I stayed in these building in 1985 as a member of the Ohio National Guard when we came here to augment the OPFOR for a rotation.

Does the NV ARNG still augment the OPFOR - in fact didnt they "take over" when the 11th ACR deployed? Are their Abrams dressed up (ie VISMODed) any differently? - Any pics?

Neil

#9: Re: OPFOR "Terrorist" vehicle... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:39 am
    ----
You would be correct! They were here while the 11th ACR was deployed. They are known as the 221st, the 11th ACR's round out unit. They even wear the same shoulder patch.
Sorry, I have no pictures of their M1's. I believe though that they are basic models without any serious upgrades. They change their appearance by wrapping the gun barrels with camo net, and they have two 55 gal drums mounted to the rear of the tanks to resemble aux fuel tanks. Its not uncommon during rotations to see the drums laying in the desert after they fall off during a tank charge from the ruff and tumble desert landscape.

-> AFV News Discussion Board