2cm A.A. Hetzer confirmed?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 2cm A.A. Hetzer confirmed? Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:54 pm
    ----
Long time AFV News readers may recall a cover photo on Issue 10 no.1 (Jan.1975!) which showed a side view of a Hetzer mounting a 2cm FlaK 38. The general verdict at the time was it was actually a bergehetzer with the 38 close behind it ie. an optical illusion. I found a great photo site which shows a different Hetzer 2cm FlaK 38 parked against a wall which pretty much precludes the possibilty of illusion. The rack of pipes on the side indicates to me that it started out as a bergehetzer and a FlaK 38 was shoe-horned in somehow. Can anyone shed more light on this?
The full address is: www.rosmus.cz/Obrazky/...ndex2.html (photo 22)
Cheers, Dave

#2: Re: 2cm A.A. Hetzer confirmed? Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
Hi Dave, well, seeing is believing! I'm wondering about the utility of such a mounting, I can't believe it has any significant taverse. Also, notice how unbalanced the chassis looks in the absence of the main gun, this seems to indicate that there weren't any modifications to the front armor plate. As I recall, the open compartment in the Bergehetzer was pretty small, so it makes me wonder what kind of mount was used for the 2.0cm.

Great picture! Thanks for finding it--proving once again that almost anything was possible with WWII German armor (and perhaps especially the T-38 chassis).

Best,
David

#3: Re: 2cm A.A. Hetzer confirmed? Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 am
    ----
Agreed, it was as well thought out as the Maus or E100. Both this and the orginial AFV News photo were taken in Czechoslovakia, I wonder if they used the Gerbigsager flak mounting? They should have been available in the area. Thanks to Tomas Jakl for his links on Czech battle sites, lots more to discover!
Cheers, Dave

#4: Re: 2cm A.A. Hetzer confirmed? Author: clausb PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:36 am
    ----
According to Spielberger, it is an "Aufklärungspanzer 38 mit 2cm FlaK 38". Also known as "Gerät 563 Panzeraufklärungswagen 638/11 - 2cm Flak 38". It was one among a long series of vehicles on the Hetzer chassis which also included an "Aufklärungspanzer 38 mit 7,5cm K51 L/24". Of these two, only prototypes were made.
Neither has anything to do with the 2cm KwK and 7,5cm K51 armed vehicles based on the Pz38(t) tank chassis.

Source: Spielberger: "Die Panzer-Kampfwagen 35(t) und 38(t) un ihre Abarten", 1997, p.285

There's a picture showing one parked behind a Hetzer with some people
standing on it - is that the same as in AFV-News 10/1?

Claus B

#5: Re: 2cm A.A. Hetzer confirmed? Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:22 pm
    ----
Hi Claus. Yes, it sounds like the same photo.
Cheers, Dave

-> AFV News Discussion Board