Oooppps Pictures....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:51 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
A buddy of mine at Ft Stewart snet me these "Oooppps" pictures, I thought you might all enjoy. What knid of tank is that?

#2: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:15 am
    ----
Merk., I think.

#3: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:30 am
    ----
I'm not a tanker so please elaborate, full name and country?

#4: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:32 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I'm not a tanker so please elaborate, full name and country?

Israeli Merkava ("Chariot"), if I'm not mistaken. (If I am, someone will surely correct me right quick!)

#5: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
    ----
Nah, it's a Merk. It might be a little tricky to identify, the main gun isn't usually bent like that.

I don't think that's covered by the warranty.

#6: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:23 am
    ----
Am I the only one who used the front mounted drive sproket and rear Idler to identify it as a Merkava? Does anyone else use a front drive on a modern tank?

#7: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 am
    ----
Yup. Merkava. IIRC the crew got a bit closer to the edge of the bank than they thought. There was a discussion a while ago on the old site with postings by someone who was apparently there during the recovery.

#8: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:35 pm
    ----
It has a 105mm gun, from which mark on it got 120mm I don't know.

Regards,
Lesley

#9: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:50 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Am I the only one who used the front mounted drive sproket and rear Idler to identify it as a Merkava? Does anyone else use a front drive on a modern tank?

Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

I think I am safe is saying that the Merkava is the ONLY, current, main battle tank that does use front drive sprokets.

I think the French AMX-13 family of light AFVs might be one of the few front drive sproket vehicles that SAW mass production after WWII. A few of the South American countries developed some light tanks, but not sure if any were built in any great numbers.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#10: Re: Oooppps Pictures.... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 am
    ----
That one of the C17 and the airfield engineer crew is more frightening than dangerous. Looks like takeoff not landing, or there'd be shovels flying and boot soles showing everywhere!

-> AFV News Discussion Board