Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
    ----
Greetings All....
As it's your forum, I thought I'd refer this question to the members.

Admins are making some upgrades. As a part of this, we have the ability to "re-skin" the looks of our forum...meaning, basically, how colorful and of what general appearance would you like to see.

I'll just create a poll, if I don't screw it up....some of you liked the "vanilla" look of the old forum...so we could go black-and-white or something subdued. Alternatively, we could use as background and trim colors someting more like Georges' AFV website, just for consistancies' sake...kind of a "signature" colorscheme. Or we could leave it just like this. I assume something really gaudy is right out (and we don't do fuchia or magenta, so fahgeddaboutit).

If, rather unbelievably, you've never seen the AFV News website, here it is:

www.afvnews.ca

What would you like to see....vote!

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
I dont care so much about the colors - but I would prefer the old thread-view from the old board + the ability to use HTML in postings (so I can constrain picture sizes).

Neil

#3: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:34 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I dont care so much about the colors - but I would prefer the old thread-view from the old board + the ability to use HTML in postings (so I can constrain picture sizes).

Neil

I hear you Neil, but I don't think that's an option.

#4: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:38 pm
    ----
Okay, overall those are relatively minor nitpicks. Preferences really. But colors are less important to me....

Neil

#5: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:39 pm
    ----
I've gotten this one 'down'.

I understand that some may not like the changes, but blame it on the spammers.

Actually I like the additional options of this site. Especially the notification option on Threads and replies.

Don

#6: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:51 pm
    ----
- Dontos
I've gotten this one 'down'.

I understand that some may not like the changes, but blame it on the spammers.

Actually I like the additional options of this site. Especially the notification option on Threads and replies.

Don

That's a good attitude, Don. I've been through a couple of forum changes, including a previous one at Com-Central. Each time, there's a few days of adjustment, and then you forget how the other one worked, exactly. Also, you've stated succinctly the cause for the change in the first place...greater security always comes with some inconveniences. Seen any spam here yet? Believe me, it continues at the old site...George has been furiously deleting it to maintain a readable archive. I saw NINE spam messages in ONE MINUTE just a couple of nights ago.

FYI, we used to have "visitor" posting here at CC, but had to go to registration only for posting a couple of months ago...for exactly the same reason.

One way to get more of the "feel" of the old forum is to start fewer theads where not absolutely necessary and trying to carryon a discourse within an existing thread. Less fractionation and more of a continuous read. I think that will become intuitive as folks get "practice" here.

#7: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:11 pm
    ----
Doug

"... Less fractionation and more of a continuous read. I think that will become intuitive as folks get "practice" here."

Wow, you had me on 'Good Attitude' but lost me on " fractionation "(?).

Sounds like a Scrabble challange to me.... Laughing

#8: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:16 pm
    ----
As Dontos said, I finally have this one "down' as well. Color is also not as importatnt to me. Once I figured it out, posting pictures is easy and I can post more than one at a time if I choose. I did like the old format where I could see an entire thread at one time but I can live with this. I like that the topic goes back to the top if there has been a response.

#9: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:21 pm
    ----
Leave it the way it is!

A little 'change' in life is good, for without it things will get very boring!

#10: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:21 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
As Dontos said, I finally have this one "down' as well. Color is also not as importatnt to me. Once I figured it out, posting pictures is easy and I can post more than one at a time if I choose. I did like the old format where I could see an entire thread at one time but I can live with this. I like that the topic goes back to the top if there has been a response.

That bit about posting multiple pics in one post is nice, isn't it? Conserves space and not a lot of "opening" and "closing" posts to see the next in a series. In some of the forums here, there's been occasion to string upwards of twenty pics in a single thread.

#11: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:50 pm
    ----
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

David

#12: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
OK with me - I'll go with the flow Smile

Dirk

#13: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:47 pm
    ----
I think Dontos stated it well. I've even figured out how to throw a picture in.

I appreciate the offer to try and get it back 'the way it was' but I think most of us are getting used to the 'new look'. I vote for letting it settle in some more. Mud mover brown and green may be more appropriate than zoomie blue but it's not worth putting anyone out for.

#14: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: JimLewisLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:13 pm
    ----
I'm a newbie to the AFV News Forums (don't kick the newbie!) - and found the previous one difficult to follow - "fractionalized" is a good way to describe it.

I really like this new software -it looks great the way it is setup now. Plus, it really compliments the great information the regular members routinely put out here.

That's a big reason why I registered...

Jim

#15: Re: Poll time...appearance of the AFV forum. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:15 pm
    ----
I notice three votes now for "other" with no posted alternatives to the three listed. Does that mean "don't GAS?" or sumthin' else?

If you have another idea, we kinda' need to hear what that is. Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board