Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:38 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- Neil_Baumgardner
I'm very certain it did have a turret. The wings were more transportation than anything, it wasnt envisioned to fight in the air (the thought is pretty comical).

Okay...(shakes head vigorously back and forth)...I was still looking at it from the landing gear perspective only, thinking it was just another experiment on rough airstrip operations......didn't realize it was a tank and air transport mechanism all rolled into one. Doesn't sound like the best basis for design compromise does it?

Yeah, air-to-air action does sound comical doesn't it? But, what if the idea actually worked out, you never know.....we'd have seen an escalation of flying tank development effort on all sides, with fears of a possible "flying tank gap" and sooner or later the inevitable dog-firefight would have happened and good gravy the falling spent cartridges themselves woulda wreaked havoc on the local potato and turnip crops......horrifying to think of. Yet somehow, kinda cool at the same time, gotta admit.....

Anything is possible, my poor, misguided wingy-thing friend!

#17: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:42 pm
    ----
Not armed or armoured, but it DOES have tracks:

#18: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:49 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Holy fargin' DANG!!!! Good ol' Sgt Rock, he could do ANYTHING I tell ya!!!!

And the soldier standing on the side, helping to splash that Zero with his sidearm......that's too much.....killer...chuck a grenade at it too why dontcha....HAHAHHAHA!!!

#19: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:54 pm
    ----
It was intended as a means of delivering the T-60 light tanks to support landings by airborne troops (in the absence of large gliders like the British Hamilcar). I didn't see the TV show, but the project largely foundered due to the absence of sufficiently large and powerful towing aircraft. The only Soviet aircraft available capable of the job was the Pe-8 heavy bomber. These were too few and far between to use for towing "glider tanks".

The Red Army was one of the first in the world to develop airborne troops and the doctrine to use them. Unfortunately, the Red Air Force never had a large enough fleet of transport aircraft to support such operations. The few airdrops done by the Red Army during the war were pretty much "penny-packet" affairs too small to have much influence.

David

#20: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:09 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- Doug_Kibbey

Holy fargin' DANG!!!! Good ol' Sgt Rock, he could do ANYTHING I tell ya!!!!

And the soldier standing on the side, helping to splash that Zero with his sidearm......that's too much.....killer...chuck a grenade at it too why dontcha....HAHAHHAHA!!!

Thats THE HAUNTED TANK (ie GI Combat). I have that one!! Sgt Rock was a 'leg'.

#21: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:31 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Oops...my bad, sorry! Although, doggone it! Now that you mention it, I remember the "Haunted Tank"! At least I seem to.....I recall that was about at the same time they started coming out with the "Weird War" comics as well, wasn't it?. Couldn't quite get into that series, was pretty goofy as well as macabre, and if I wanted that, there was good ol' Vampirilla.....and I was just at the age to start appreciating that kinda material.......digressing pretty far OT tho. Probably not too many pictures of Vampirilla (or Elvira) with tanks I bet. A guy can dream I guess......

#22: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:39 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- Dontos

Oops...my bad, sorry! Although, doggone it! Now that you mention it, I remember the "Haunted Tank"! At least I seem to.....I recall that was about at the same time they started coming out with the "Weird War" comics as well, wasn't it?. Couldn't quite get into that series, was pretty goofy as well as macabre, and if I wanted that, there was good ol' Vampirilla.....and I was just at the age to start appreciating that kinda material.......digressing pretty far OT tho. Probably not too many pictures of Vampirilla (or Elvira) with tanks I bet. A guy can dream I guess......

Awww, Man! "Haunted Tank" was serious, not like that "Weird War/Vampirella" stuff. Real Deal.

You need to do a "Google-Image" search for "Haunted Tank" and see was' goin' on! JEB Stuart and the boys would roll over in their grave if they could see you post...(in fact, I'd put out some garlic and lock the doors and windows tonight, if I was you)

#23: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Oops Author: arfraser PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:24 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- piney
Helps If I add the picture Jeff Lewis

There are pics of a B-36 that had tracked gear too that makes the rounds from time-to-time.... Shocked

The trial you mention ended in failure - the undercarriage shook itself apart during the first tests and was quickly abandoned.

Also, there is a model of the flying T-60 released recently - 1/72 in resin (I *think* it got a mention on Modeling Madness or Aircraft Resource Centre).

#24: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Oops Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:02 pm
    ----
- arfraser
- JG300-Ascout
- piney
Helps If I add the picture Jeff Lewis

There are pics of a B-36 that had tracked gear too that makes the rounds from time-to-time.... Shocked

The trial you mention ended in failure - the undercarriage shook itself apart during the first tests and was quickly abandoned.

Also, there is a model of the flying T-60 released recently - 1/72 in resin (I *think* it got a mention on Modeling Madness or Aircraft Resource Centre).

That was just a throw-away post to trick any lurkers into revealing themselves as "wingy thing" fans. Looks like we caught one! Wink
(This was easier than giving the Voight-Komp to detect replicants!)

#25: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 pm
    ----
Christie was way ahead of the curve as usual Cool

Jeff Lewis

#26: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:52 pm
    ----
more

#27: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:53 pm
    ----
etc

#28: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 pm
    ----

#29: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:01 pm
    ----

Smile Jeff Lewis

#30: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:02 pm
    ----
- piney
etc

This looks like something one might see on the "combatreform" or "air-mech-strike" websites of that nice Mr. Sparks.

Except there, it'd constitute a serious operational proposal.

Has that vehicle got a proper name?...something like "Stillwell", for example...

-> AFV News Discussion Board