Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:53 pm
    ----
Mr. Christie was a gifted foreward thinking designer underappreciated in the US. Most of his designs weren't bought by our government hence no official name. He sold more overseas, particularly Russia

Jeff Lewis

#32: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:14 pm
    ----
- piney
Mr. Christie was a gifted foreward thinking designer underappreciated in the US. Most of his designs weren't bought by our government hence no official name. He sold more overseas, particularly Russia

Jeff Lewis

The Ordnance Museum has the only surviving(?) Christie tank I am aware of (not counting any Russian BT-series tanks). Any other survivors out there?

Sorry these pics are a little grainy, they're two years old from my old 35mm camera (before I bought my current digital). Note to self - take new pics of the Christie...

On a related note, my apartment is little over a mile away from the house he died in - in Falls Church, Virginia.

Neil

#33: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:15 pm
    ----
It's just a hunch, but I think "Ascout" had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.

#34: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:33 pm
    ----
- piney

Jeff Lewis

It's my understanding that at least part of the cause for his "underappreciation" here was the fact that Mr. Christie, like many gifted thinkers was a very difficult person to work with. He tended to resent any changes to or criticisms of his designs. Given that any item intended for government procurement is going to be subjected to all manner of requests for changes and modifications, this made negotiations between the Army and Christie difficult, to say the least.

David

#35: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:48 pm
    ----
- David_Reasoner
- piney

Jeff Lewis

It's my understanding that at least part of the cause for his "underappreciation" here was the fact that Mr. Christie, like many gifted thinkers was a very difficult person to work with. He tended to resent any changes to or criticisms of his designs. Given that any item intended for government procurement is going to be subjected to all manner of requests for changes and modifications, this made negotiations between the Army and Christie difficult, to say the least.

David

Yep, to him "marketing" took the form of lecturing the evaluation officials. He thought his vehicles/designs should stand on their own, as is - and that everyone should be able to appreciate their obvious value Wink

Neil

#36: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Oops Author: arfraser PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:07 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

That was just a throw-away post to trick any lurkers into revealing themselves as "wingy thing" fans. Looks like we caught one! Wink
(This was easier than giving the Voight-Komp to detect replicants!)

Blast! The truth is out Shocked
Unfortunately winged things almost outnumber ground things on my model shelf. And a couple of water-things in the stash for attention in the future.

#37: Re: Tracks and wingy thingys (Picture) Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
- piney

Jeff Lewis
The US decided that Christie's medium tanks didn't provide an appreciable offensive benefit over existing light tanks, despite being much more expensive. The US did standardize a tank with Christie's suspension, and were going to use it in the 76 mm GMC M18 until it was decided to use torsion bars, which take up less interior space. Even the Soviets were going to replace Christie's suspension in T-34, but Barbarossa put those plans on hold.

-> AFV News Discussion Board